Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Anyone wheel their H3 ? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34972)

nierace 08-04-2008 09:23 PM

Anyone wheel their H3 ?

I have been searching the H3 forums for a while and never really find much info or trail reports on those who wheel their H3's and I am wondering how capable they are?

I'd like to know what trails a H3 with a level kit sitting on 35's or 37's would do on a rated trail such as what moab uses of 1-10 or many adventure parks use green - blue - black and reds. I know there alot of variables but with a competent driver and with minor damage on such trails, approximately what category would you put the H3 into as being well challenged but not in over its head.

I'd also liked to know how effected the road manners are with the leveling kit and how much the 35's/37's bog down the H3. Also if many have had trouble with axle shaft breakage or draglink's/steering being over strained by the extra meat.

On that note also is there anyone running 37's with just the leveling kit and possibly extended bump stops and some trimming ?

I noticed while searching that the front travel looked to be only 4" on the shocks, is that true ? It just seems to be very little and I would expect more articulation out of it.

I am asking all this because the incentives from GM have caught my attention and I can get a H3 for a very reasonable price and am very tempted. I currently have a lifted jeep grand cherokee that is great offroad however its on road manners are not so hot and make me weary. I'd like to have something my girl friend can use in the winter in case of a emergency or what ever and not worry about something happening, but at the same time I can still run fun trails. My jeep now is at a point where I would have to spend around 5k on new axles to go to the next stage and run 35/37's, so I'd rather get what I can for it and invest in something that can pull double duty instead of having the heep and another daily driver.

Thanks for any feedback :)

My current rig for kicks :

RuggedH2 08-04-2008 10:01 PM

Re: Anyone wheel their H3 ?

7 Attachment(s)
First of all....... Do it..... you will not regret it.

Next, the rebates are great but the 09's are gonna have a front locker available under warranty. For someone that really plans to wheel........ it's something to consider...... of course for the 6K rebate you could afford to put in your own front locker. ;)

Also the search feature is gonna be your friend....... you will find many threads to answer your questions...... which many H3 wheelers have posted on. Check the Moab stickies in the H3 pics section.

H3's have run most of the difficult trails in Moab from Golden Spike, and Moab Rim down....... I haven't seen pics from Pritchett Canyon and Behind the Rocks yet...... but it will happen eventually.

Here are some of mine.

Attachment 49198

Attachment 49200

Attachment 49201

Attachment 49202

Attachment 49203

Attachment 49204

Attachment 49205

RazM 08-04-2008 10:07 PM

... and lets not forget, they're STOCK, not like the silly mods required on Jeeps to get them to fit a decent sized tire.

I did 2 and half cranks on the torsion bars to fit 35's. To fit 37's you'll need a lift.

Four Wheeler put it best, the H3 will do 95% of what a rubicon unlimited will do, but in comfort and with great road manners.

Desert Dan 08-04-2008 10:12 PM

Go for a 2009 H3 with front and rear lockers (Adventure Package) and the V8!

nierace 08-04-2008 10:45 PM

Well if I wait for a 09 I think there will be a high demand for H3's with the front locker and isn't there speculation of the hummer line being cut off entirely in 2010 ?

I wouldn't get a alpha because theres not enough cost vs benefit for them, I wont be towing anything over 4k and theres not even a second difference in the 0-60 :)

Is there any difference in the 09 from the 08 front diff internals aside from it going from a aluminum to cast housing ? My only concern would be not being able to get a locker for the 08 front diff, there currently isnt any available now right (even aftermarket)?

I only have a locker in the back now and traction has never been a issue since I've put it in all though I get a bit more flex. I think I would be able to get by for the savings in $, theres always the brake trick :)

You guys don't think 37's would fly without a 4.5" kit? It looks to me like the H3 is heavy on sheetmetal and needs some trimming. My concern isnt as much on clearance as on drivetrain and steering strain on them :P

Do you guys get any breakage with the 35's and around about what do you get for gas mileage ? From what i've seen most get 15 mixed which is about what I get now with 33's....

I will need to do some searching for trail reports, maybe I can find something in new england who runt he same trails...

Thanks again

Tex_h2 08-04-2008 11:49 PM

Why not just step up and buy a H2.....

The difference between Men and Boys are the size of there toys!

But, I will say there are some nice looking H3's in here.......

RazM 08-05-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex_h2
Why not just step up and buy a H2.....

The difference between Men and Boys are the size of there toys!

But, I will say there are some nice looking H3's in here.......

No offense, but the H2 doesn't offer much more than the H3 other than just being BIG.

I've got more clearance on my H3 than a stock H2, have plenty of room inside for what I need, and it's just as capable if not more in some conditions.

The H2 is the best full size offroad rig, and the H3 is the best mid-size offroad rig, but there's not much difference between an H2 and an H3 in the capability department that would make someone pick one over the other, other than size.

rck0025 08-05-2008 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazM
No offense, but the H2 doesn't offer much more than the H3 other than just being BIG.

I've got more clearance on my H3 than a stock H2, have plenty of room inside for what I need, and it's just as capable if not more in some conditions.

The H2 is the best full size offroad rig, and the H3 is the best mid-size offroad rig, but there's not much difference between an H2 and an H3 in the capability department that would make someone pick one over the other, other than size.

:iagree:

Also, before I started wheeling my H3, I used a generic Jeep wrangler for my out door adventures. I'm still getting used to the size of the H3 compared to the Jeep (not sure the difference in wheel base), but the H2 would be completely useless for my applications: Very narrow and washed out trails over multiple tin horns. One slip = no more Hummer.

nierace 08-05-2008 01:03 AM

The H2 would be really ugly after running any of the trails here, it would get sandwhiched in alot of the trails, tight and narrow. The H3 is going to get beat up and dented it will look almost as purty as my jeep after a few rides :)

RuggedH2 08-05-2008 04:02 AM

I've had my H2 for just over a year now..... taken it to Moab for multi-day wheelin' trips about six or seven times.

I've had the H3 a year longer than the H2. I've wheeled it just as hard, and just as much.

My H2 is lifted and locked front and rear, and running 4.88 gears with beadlocked 38 " tall 14.50 wide KM2's...... but it wasn't always.

I have no axe to grind here whatsoever.......

In my experience the H2 will outperform the H3 in most conditions off road. It just will. Raz I'm just telling you my experience not trying to put your rig down.

I actually started a thread trying to get people to tell me what I just told you before I bought my H2. The truth.

There are times the H3 has an advantage, but mostly the advantage belongs to the H2.

I'm not looking for a pissing contest with anybody and maybe someone else's experience might be different. That's just the way I see it. Mods can change the picture too.

I took my H2 to the hippie side of town for a fish taco the other day and it got keyed from front to back....... I wondered if that same thing would have happened in my H3. Doesn't matter........ the pinstripes from branches are much worse than the little key anyway...... makes me wonder why they even bothered. :giggling:

If it wasn't fresh through the dirt..... I wouldn't have even noticed it. :D

tomp 08-05-2008 04:04 AM

Putting 35s will increase steering and axle stress, but you should always carry spare tie rods and half shafts anyhow so no worries there. I think a stock H3 with 35s (even an 08 with just a rear locker) will go anywhere that jeep of yours would go.

Yes, the H3 has IFS and is limited on front articulation, but like you are looking for - the H3 has much better on road manners due to the IFS. It is a luxury offroad vehicle on steriods.

The H2 will out wheel an H3 on the more extreme stuff (I have both), but there are times where the smaller width H3 will have advantages but then again the H2s width will have the advantages where width will benefit. The H2 can be beefed up more than the H3 as well (due to limited H3 offroad aftermarket support). However, the Rubicon wins in all areas expect for on road comfort.

Like you said, the H3 is the best deal due to the rebates. Here in Texas they are offering 7K incentive and antoher 1.5K if you get a demo with some low miles on it. We just upgraded our 07 to an 08 demo for same monthly payment and got many more options than we had before.

The 09s are already at the dealers. I had two in my driveway the other day (loaners while our H2 and H3 were at dealer). These two did not have adventure package, nor were there any at the dealer yet. I am thinking they (GM) are doling onto them to see if they can drop the incentive plans before releasing them. I do think the locker and CI cases will retrofit the previous model years, but only time will tell.

A front diff does not make that much difference except in those rare cases where you need it. It also increases chances of breaking a half shaft in those knarly situations where front wheels are binded.

I say get an 08 before they are all gone. I think GM will release the 09s with adventure packages when all/most of the 08s are gone but then the incentives may be gone as well

RazM 08-05-2008 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RuggedH2
I've had my H2 for just over a year now..... taken it to Moab for multi-day wheelin' trips about six or seven times.

I've had the H3 a year longer than the H2. I've wheeled it just as hard, and just as much.

My H2 is lifted and locked front and rear, and running 4.88 gears with beadlocked 38 " tall 14.50 wide KM2's...... but it wasn't always.

I have no axe to grind here whatsoever.......

In my experience the H2 will outperform the H3 in most conditions off road. It just will. Raz I'm just telling you my experience not trying to put your rig down.

I actually started a thread trying to get people to tell me what I just told you before I bought my H2. The truth.

There are times the H3 has an advantage, but mostly the advantage belongs to the H2.

I'm not looking for a pissing contest with anybody and maybe someone else's experience might be different. That's just the way I see it. Mods can change the picture too.

I took my H2 to the hippie side of town for a fish taco the other day and it got keyed from front to back....... I wondered if that same thing would have happened in my H3. Doesn't matter........ the pinstripes from branches are much worse than the little key anyway...... makes me wonder why they even bothered. :giggling:

If it wasn't fresh through the dirt..... I wouldn't have even noticed it. :D

Didn't you buy your H2 already modded by the previous owner? So your experience is only with a heavily modded H2 vs a stock H3?

I'm not taking anything personally, I've never wheeled an H2, but numbers to numbers and spec to spec, there really isn't anything that makes the H2 stand out over the H3. With a front locker coming to the H3, I think the only conclusion will be that the H3 will take the lead in overall capability.

I'm really curious to hear from your experience where you feel the H2 has done better and what part of its design makes it outdo the H3?

RazM 08-05-2008 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomp
The H2 will out wheel an H3 on the more extreme stuff (I have both), but there are times where the smaller width H3 will have advantages but then again the H2s width will have the advantages where width will benefit. The H2 can be beefed up more than the H3 as well (due to limited H3 offroad aftermarket support).

Same question goes for you since you own both the H2 and H3, since spec to spec they're very close, where do you feel the H2 does better and why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomp
However, the Rubicon wins in all areas expect for on road comfort.

Not quite all areas, I'll take an H3 through the mud over any SFA rig. IFS benefits a rig in mud IMO where a solid front along with a solid rear gives more room for snagging.

HUMMER's are mudding kings.

RuggedH2 08-05-2008 05:45 AM

Quote:

Didn't you buy your H2 already modded by the previous owner? So your experience is only with a heavily modded H2 vs a stock H3?

I'm not taking anything personally, I've never wheeled an H2, but numbers to numbers and spec to spec, there really isn't anything that makes the H2 stand out over the H3. With a front locker coming to the H3, I think the only conclusion will be that the H3 will take the lead in overall capability.

I'm really curious to hear from your experience where you feel the H2 has done better and what part of its design makes it outdo the H3?

RazM,

Yeah I did buy it lifted, with Fabtech tie rods, a sweet Gobi rack and lights, custom dash, etc, etc, all good stuff and Tim did a great job building the rig (it is cool as hell, and all my friends love it). I looked for awhile and was about to buy new when he put his on the market. It was just about a year old and a great deal with all he had done to it, and the condition he kept it in.

I added the better wheeling tires, the front locker, beadlocks and gears later, I also took the rear drop brackets off the lift for better clearance.

Raz I have wheeled with some people that really know their stuff, including some great H3 wheelers. I have watched them work harder on many obstacles than I have had to in the H2. With that said, the H3 is a great machine, I really like mine and I still wheel it often.

IMHO the H2 is more durable, and goes over most obstacles easier than my 3. I modded the H3 with 35" Toyo M/T's, UCP, rock rails, shock skid protection, rear diff guard, Cognito shocks...... and will add the cast iron front diff.

The H3 turns like a Jeep..... The H2 turns like a battleship. The gearing and transfer case are better in the H3. The size difference hasn't really made that much difference but I have had to get out and lift a tree branch off my Hi-lift jack mounted to my Gobi rack. :D

Spec sheets are interesting but they don't really tell the story. A locked cast iron front H3 Alpha will be a bad-ass machine..

I still chose to build the H2 on purpose. ;)

RazM 08-05-2008 06:01 AM

Quote:

RazM,

Yeah I did buy it lifted, with Fabtech tie rods, a sweet Gobi rack and lights, custom dash, etc, etc, all good stuff and Tim did a good job building the rig. I looked for awhile and was about to buy new when he put his on the market. It was just about a year old and a great deal with all he had done to it, and the condition he kept it in.

I added the better wheeling tires, the front locker, beadlocks and gears later, I also took the rear drop brackets off the lift for better clearance.

Raz I have wheeled with some people that really know their stuff, including some great H3 wheelers. I have watched them work harder on many obstacles than I have had to in the H2. With that said, the H3 is a great machine, I really like mine and I still wheel it often.

IMHO the H2 is more durable, and goes over most obstacles easier than my 3. I modded the H3 with 35" Toyo M/T's, UCP, rock rails, shock skid protection, rear diff guard, Cognito shocks...... and will add the cast iron front diff.

The H3 turns like a Jeep..... The H2 turns like a battleship. The gearing and transfer case are better in the H3. The size difference hasn't really made that much difference but I have had to get out and lift a tree branch off my Hi-lift jack mounted to my Gobi rack. :D

Spec sheets are interesting but they don't really tell the story. A locked cast iron front H3 Alpha will be a bad-ass machine..

Cool, your H2 sounds like a mean machine, and with everything it's equipped with I have no doubts it'll kick the ass of both a stock H2 and stock H3.

However, you're still comparing a HEAVILY modded H2 to a fairly stock H3, so I have no doubts that it runs obstacles easier.

I'm not saying the H3 is a better wheeler than the H2, what I am saying is they're very comparable and TEX telling a guy to buy an H2 is kind of pointless. The smaller size of an H3 is a big benefit in a lot of cases, especially when considering very narrow, heavily wooded areas up here in the north.

HummBebe 08-05-2008 06:05 AM

sweet baby jesus......

are we really going to do this

AGAIN???

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

buy it or don't

HummBebe 08-05-2008 06:11 AM

Quote:

RazM,

Yeah I did buy it lifted, with Fabtech tie rods, a sweet Gobi rack and lights, custom dash, etc, etc, all good stuff and Tim did a great job building the rig (it is cool as hell, and all my friends love it). I looked for awhile and was about to buy new when he put his on the market. It was just about a year old and a great deal with all he had done to it, and the condition he kept it in.

Quick question....did you ever wheel your 2 bone stock on the same trails you have wheeled your 3?

Then are you really making a fair comparison?

I would never say which is better, there is no real way of determining that. They are all different.

Out of all the available off the shelf vehicles, I chose the H3, not because I was going to wheel it.

Now that I have experienced what I have experienced beyond what most H3 owners have done.

I would choose my H3 all over again.

RuggedH2 08-05-2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Cool, your H2 sounds like a mean machine, and with everything it's equipped with I have no doubts it'll kick the ass of both a stock H2 and stock H3.

However, you're still comparing a HEAVILY modded H2 to a fairly stock H3, so I have no doubts that it runs obstacles easier.

I'm not saying the H3 is a better wheeler than the H2, what I am saying is they're very comparable and TEX telling a guy to buy an H2 is kind of pointless. The smaller size of an H3 is a big benefit in a lot of cases, especially when considering very narrow, heavily wooded areas up here in the north.

Man we totally highjacked dudes thread. :D

This isn't about whether the H2 is a better wheeler than the H3.

My point was...... I wheeled it a lot before I added many of the wheeling modifications. The lift may have helped where clearance was a factor.... but that didn't figure in much. Especially with the damn rear drop brackets hanging down, hell, with those on it was like stock clearance.

Raz the H2 isn't that much wider than the H3 with the mirrors folded in.

As far as Tex goes........ don't let him push your buttons....... look at all that chrome he has. :D

RuggedH2 08-05-2008 06:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HummBebe
Quick question....did you ever wheel your 2 bone stock on the same trails you have wheeled your 3?

Then are you really making a fair comparison?

I would never say which is better, there is no real way of determining that. They are all different.

Out of all the available off the shelf vehicles, I chose the H3, not because I was going to wheel it.

Now that I have experienced what I have experienced beyond what most H3 owners have done.

I would choose my H3 all over again.

Right on Beebs and that is what matters. I load the H2 to the roof with camping gear! I have 5 in my family and the youngest (3) is in a car seat. Most of my friends drive Jeeps and I have a lot of respect for the ability of the new JK's...... but I don't want one. Doesn't fit my needs overall.

The fire was a little too hot for my two boys. :D

Attachment 49206

RazM 08-05-2008 06:42 AM

Quote:

Man we totally highjacked dudes thread. :D

This isn't about whether the H2 is a better wheeler than the H3.

My point was...... I wheeled it a lot before I added many of the wheeling modifications. The lift may have helped where clearance was a factor.... but that didn't figure in much. Especially with the damn rear drop brackets hanging down, hell, with those on it was like stock clearance.

Raz the H2 isn't that much wider than the H3 with the mirrors folded in.

As far as Tex goes........ don't let him push your buttons....... look at all that chrome he has. :D

It's 6 inches wider, and yes, the thread has been hijacked, but we can blame TEX for that
:popcorn: