Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Engage Rear Locker in 4-Hi on H2? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36248)

Rockyot 12-18-2008 02:11 AM

Engage Rear Locker in 4-Hi on H2?

has anyone come up with a switch or rewire so that i can engage the rear locker while in 4-Hi?

HUMTECH 12-18-2008 02:26 AM

Re: Engage Rear Locker in 4-Hi on H2?

Can i ask why you would want to. Not a good idea cruisin down the road to be locked

MVR 155 12-18-2008 02:37 PM

I also have to ask..... there is really no reason to engage the locker other than for crawling through the very rough stuff.

Rockyot 12-18-2008 06:10 PM

In the sand at Pismo Beach it would be nice to have the back end locked up. No need for 4-Lo. Locked works well in the snow too. Maybe it is just me??

HUMTECH 12-18-2008 08:23 PM

Actually locked up is worse in the snow, tends to want to fishtail. My jeep is full time locked in the rear and tough to keep straight when in snow

Rockyot 12-18-2008 11:02 PM

Thanks for the heads up in the snow. In my Rubicon it was helpful in the sand in 4-Hi.

IRA51 12-19-2008 01:09 AM

You haven't lived untill you went down a hill on pavement at 50 mph in the snow or ice with a locked diff . :raar:

timgco 12-19-2008 03:57 AM

4hi locked (not locker) with the TC2 enganged is great in the sand!!!!!

Pismo? What are you airing down to?

MVR 155 12-19-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUMTECH
Actually locked up is worse in the snow, tends to want to fishtail. My jeep is full time locked in the rear and tough to keep straight when in snow

It will also cause the front end to shove badly at low speeds while turning.

SummitUp 12-19-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRA51
You haven't lived untill you went down a hill on pavement at 50 mph in the snow or ice with a locked diff . :raar:

You got snow and ice in Phoenix!?? :jump:

IRA51 12-19-2008 06:29 PM

Just because I live in Phoenix doe's not mean I don't drive in snow country . I grew up and lived in northern New Jersey (Susex and Morris county ),and hunt in Northern Arizona and Colorado every year. I also spent 2 years in Bufalo New York . and have a set of chains for the H2,and my 05 Chevy 2500 HD ext cab 4x4 Duramax/allison pickup. I drive in the snow and ice every winter .

Desert Dan 12-19-2008 06:31 PM

I know it is possible to bypass the low range lock out so you can use the locker in 4 high on Jeeps so it must be doable on Hummers too??

DuckTruck 12-31-2008 07:19 PM

I asked this question a while back and got the same responses. My brother in law did it on his TRD tacoma.....it's called a "grey wire mod" on their forums....apparently you just have to fool the locker into thinking it is "grounded" all the time.

Can someone confirm that this has been done on an H2?

DUCK

tomp 01-01-2009 07:33 AM

Disconeect the rear locker connector and Add a 5 Ohm resistor in series with the two wires going to toward the front of vehicle. Next, add a new 12volt circuit with switch and relay to send power to the two wires going to the connector at the rear diff. It does not matter which is + or - as it is a coil and just needs 12volts to energize.

You are done and can now manually control the locker. The resistor is to prevent "Service 4WD" error as the system looks for this resistance to be present that would normally be the resistance of the locker coil.

Bronze 01-01-2009 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Most H1 and H2 Hummer have a feature where If you require additional traction without engaging the HI-Lock or Lo-Lock simply place your left foot on the brake then give slight power to the right gas peddle. It will transfer traction to the wheels that have traction and lock the wheel that is slipping.

HUMTECH 01-03-2009 09:39 AM

Well thats half right, the H2 is equipped with open front and rear differentials with the eaton e-locker in the rear only. The H1 is equipped with torsen differentials front and back which allow power transfer with either driver input using the brakes or automatically if equipped with tt4, later models of the h1 were available with lockers front and rear as an option
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronze
Most H1 and H2 Hummer have a feature where If you require additional traction without engaging the HI-Lock or Lo-Lock simply place your left foot on the brake then give slight power to the right gas peddle. It will transfer traction to the wheels that have traction and lock the wheel that is slipping.