Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Here we go again!! (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36392)

twenty2 01-07-2009 09:52 PM

Here we go again!!

About a month ago, I had a issue with a Bank 1 and Bank 2 code showing my gas was lean. Do you guys think I have a gasket leak coming from my intake manifold? Or, something else? The O2 sensors were going to be changed, but they say its kinda hard to beleive that both banks would go out at the same time?

Any help please.............:crying:

LEcustoms 01-08-2009 01:12 AM

Re: Here we go again!!

I Had the same thing happen about a month ago. I was told it was my MAF, so i cleaned it out(after market MAF) same thing happened again. I was thinking possibly the cats.I will hopefully be dropping off my truck again next week to have them look at it again. Its still under warranty. If i get the issue resolved I will let you know what the problem was with mine. Till then good luck.

Planohummer 01-08-2009 01:21 AM

do one of two things:
1)with engine running, pour bucket of water or run water hose over intake, esp at cyl heads to see if idle stumbles
2)spray carb cleaner or starting fluid around same area and see if idle raises.
either of these will point to leaking intake gaskets

Easy Ed 01-08-2009 01:42 AM

This may not apply to the H2 but.....I have a 95 Neon that I pretty much re-built mechanically as a project and to also help with the $4.00 plus a gallon gas prices we had for a while ;)

The last bit of problem I had to clear up was a code saying it was running lean. And one of the possible causes (but was not mine) for the neon to throw that code was a known problem of a cracked exhaust manifold and I do know that our H2's got a nasty habit of having the heads of the exhaust manifold bolts to break off. Maybe you have "many" of them broke and now have an exhaust leak causing the computer to throw the lean condition code.

This is just a thought and may not even be your cause but may be worth a look.

This is also the list suggested to look at in fixing the problem on the Neon

low fuel pressure
injectors
coolant temperature sensor
MAP sensor
O2 sensors
exhaust manifold
engine parts tolerance

The neon project pics are posted through out here http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...heri/?start=40 if you got some time to kill :o

twenty2 01-08-2009 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEcustoms
I Had the same thing happen about a month ago. I was told it was my MAF, so i cleaned it out(after market MAF) same thing happened again. I was thinking possibly the cats.I will hopefully be dropping off my truck again next week to have them look at it again. Its still under warranty. If i get the issue resolved I will let you know what the problem was with mine. Till then good luck.

please let me know what happens...

twenty2 01-08-2009 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planohummer
do one of two things:
1)with engine running, pour bucket of water or run water hose over intake, esp at cyl heads to see if idle stumbles
2)spray carb cleaner or starting fluid around same area and see if idle raises.
either of these will point to leaking intake gaskets

Ill give it a shot...

RippSpeed 01-08-2009 05:23 AM

I had issues with idle and cruising issues for awhile... I just replaced my freaking injectors and that solve my running lean issues... Then again I dont know if you guys have 80K in mileage on your rigs ????

twenty2 01-08-2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippSpeed
I had issues with idle and cruising issues for awhile... I just replaced my freaking injectors and that solve my running lean issues... Then again I dont know if you guys have 80K in mileage on your rigs ????

I do.... hummm, too many things to either change or check...

HumminNBoatin' 01-08-2009 03:55 PM

I am having these same issues. I have 83K miles on my truck. I am VERY interested to know what the turnout is!

twenty2 01-13-2009 08:03 AM

Well, my update is here. It was my MAF sensor that had to be replaced. I drove it the whole day today, and so far no engine light on...

HumminNBoatin' 01-14-2009 09:21 PM

I guess Ill go ahead and clean mine first and see if that helps.

HumminNBoatin' 01-15-2009 06:03 PM

I replaced my MAF this am. Cleared the codes and gas mileage has already increased. I guess the rest of the day will tell.

twenty2 01-15-2009 09:43 PM

Son of a beotch!!! My engine light is back on, and the codes are still reading Bank 1 & bank 2 po171 and po174 lean.

The guy who replaced the MAF said on his reader, it said my MAF was bad causing the lean, but Im still having the problem!! Do you guys think this guy was taking me for a ride? Or, was he being honest and telling me he was correct on his reader saying it was the MAF sensor? And, now of course... he wants me to bring it back cause it may be the O2 sensors???

help again...

pdsq99f4 01-16-2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twenty2
Son of a beotch!!! My engine light is back on, and the codes are still reading Bank 1 & bank 2 po171 and po174 lean.

The guy who replaced the MAF said on his reader, it said my MAF was bad causing the lean, but Im still having the problem!! Do you guys think this guy was taking me for a ride? Or, was he being honest and telling me he was correct on his reader saying it was the MAF sensor? And, now of course... he wants me to bring it back cause it may be the O2 sensors???

help again...

Not sure what code says "bad maf sensor". Don't bring it back to this guy. Whoever looks at it needs to check your fuel pressure (56-63psi is ok) and also check for intake leaks. Also sometimes the intake tube where it meets the throttle body gets folded under and it can pull in air from there.

LEcustoms 01-16-2009 04:10 AM

Still havent had a chance to drop off my truck. hope to get it in the shop next week. The idle is getting worse almost like I have a rediculously agressive cam. My truck has 70k on it as well.

twenty2 01-16-2009 03:08 PM

Well, Im taking it back..... I'll keep you posted on whats up next...

Rene S. Nielsen 01-16-2009 03:22 PM

Actually it might be the cat.

I had the same issue, had a code that said bad MAF (don't know the code, just got the info from the dealer) changed the MAF and still had the same code.

Then into the shop and being in Denmark where the shops don't know wery much about Hummers resulted in me changing the engine (at my own cost) because nobody cared to check the cats.

Regards
Rene

HumminNBoatin' 01-16-2009 07:49 PM

Same thing Here. I am now getting the same Codes. I did have my intake tube folded at the throttle. So I pulled it off and boiled it to get it hot and expand. As it was ZERO degrees out last night. After boiling I ran it outside and it slid right on with no fold. I tightend it down and I am still have issues. I guess I will be taking it into the dealer next week.

I really do not think its the cats. Those codes are comming from before the CATS not after. I have already had my CATS replace and the codes for that fix were (System Inefficent) NOT (System Lean). I look foward to your findings. If it was Zero degrees outside I would be all over it

HumminNBoatin' 01-19-2009 05:35 PM

Well I have 85K miles on my truck.

This weekend I put my truck on my father in-laws SnapOn Scanner and went throught the whole engine. I could not get it to thow a code for me while it was plugged into the truck. I went through all the injectors and checked for any history of misfires and misfires while running. So that was good news. I left my In-laws house and was getting 7.5mpg. I decided I should change my airfilter. Supposedly the air filter is rated for 100K. But I went ahead and replaced it this weekend. $60 at Autozone. Gas mileage is back up to normal. Truck is running VERY good. My old filter was pretty bad. I could even tell a weight difference when holding the new vs. the old.

Might want to check your filter.

HumminNBoatin' 01-20-2009 03:35 AM

Well CE light is on again.....I give it its dealer time.