Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spark Plug Wire removal and Antifreeze change. (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39178)

RJ03 03-11-2010 06:09 PM

Spark Plug Wire removal and Antifreeze change.

I'll start by identifying my truck, I'm original owner:

2003 H2 Adv. Series, 65K miles and love it.

Looking for some help with couple things:

1). Is there a trick to remove the factory spark plug wires off the plugs or just pry them off with force? I tried taking one off to measure it, so, I can order the right ones. Wow, they really want to stay on.

2). I'm getting ready to change the coolant, thermostat and gasket. My upper and lower rad. hoses look fine. I see no areas of dry rot or wear. Should I replace them anyway since I'm flushing the system? I guess I answered my own question.

Thanks for your help,

RJ03

Olfart 03-11-2010 08:06 PM

Re: Spark Plug Wire removal and Antifreeze change.

Don't pull by the wires unless you want to damage them... of course if you are replacing them who cares? Pull by the boot that is over the plug. You might be able to twist it loose and peel it back away from the plug. There is also an inexpensive tool at auto parts stores for grabbing the boot. When you install the new wires make sure to coat the inside of the boot with plenty of silicone grease...they will come off easier next time.
Replacing the hoses would be a good idea. Also take a look at your belt while you are down there...there is a cheap gauge available to check the wear..or better yet just replace it. And check belt pullys and tensioner spring too.

RJ03 03-11-2010 08:14 PM

Thanks Olfart, the boot has a metal shield around it. I'm planning on replacing the wires altogether, so I guess no worries on damaging them. Belts were recently changed. Thanks for the heads up.

IRA51 03-12-2010 01:04 AM

Check out Summit raceing ,they have some 8 mm wires that work great and you won't need the shields .

vetteSUT 03-22-2010 09:12 PM

my question is, how do you work with the boot metal insulating shield? does the shield pull back before hand? or do you need to pull the wire/boot first and then get that shield out of the way?

I've done a many tune-ups on other cars, this is the first time seeing a metal shield rather than a soft-sleeve style insulator.

Easy Ed 03-22-2010 09:41 PM

My suggestion, twist the "boot" at the plug to loosen it on the plug then grab hold of the metal shield and pull on it. I effed up once by not doing it like that when I was just going to change the plugs and I grabbed the boot, my hand slipped and ended up pulling the wire and "wasted" it. Ended up with a new set of wires that day :(

Here are some pics of how they all look like after being pulled out. (Just went to the garage to take one out so I could post the pics) I hope it helps explain how the set up works. The metal shield will pull the boot from the end.

Good luck, Ed

Attachment 52435

Attachment 52436

Attachment 52437

Attachment 52438

HUMTECH 03-23-2010 04:25 AM

best way is use a long prybar and pry on the raised edge of the metal shield while pulling upwards on the wire toward the prybar at the same time and they will pop right off.

vetteSUT 03-23-2010 01:45 PM

Thanks a lot! This helps out a lot!:D