Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Heat gauge between half and 3/4 line-please help! (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40177)

MISKC91 09-08-2010 02:23 AM

Heat gauge between half and 3/4 line-please help!

Hello...

I just bought a 2007 H3 with 27,000 2 days ago. Driving home from the dealership the heat guage was almost at 3/4 of the way up, one line before the H I live in the mountains and drive the winding climbing roads. Even in a flat subdivision today the car was just a little over the half mark. My friend has one and lives in the area and her indicator goes between the 1/4 and half. What is normal? Is 3/4 too high? Please help.

HummerJim 09-09-2010 04:58 PM

Re: Heat gauge between half and 3/4 line-please help!

My H3 never went over half and I did a lot of mountain driving. I would take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. My gut feeling is a bad gauge or sender!

Ed G. 09-09-2010 06:40 PM

If you haven't already, check the radiator and coolant container levels. There's a chance they are low or that some cheap-ass has added only water to the radiator instead of a 50/50 mix with anti-freeze.

TANDREW 09-09-2010 11:04 PM

Mine reaches the 3/4 mark during the summer on long drives with hills. Outside temp around 85 to upper 90's.

MISKC91 09-12-2010 09:07 PM

Thank you to all for your responses! It only did it the one hot day when I was driving up hill for a long period of time. I am keeping an eye on it. I have heard and read from others that there H3s run like that.

3Hummer 09-14-2010 03:19 AM

Im on my second H3 now, I had a base 2007 model before my current truck. My last one ran like that all the time, when i would drive it for long periods of time the height guage would go up. I live in Florida so the heat is rediculous to begin with so I think that may have had a lot to do with it. I had that truck for 3 and a half years and it ran between half and 3/4 the whole time I had it. Never thought it was an issue since it was in range and never had any major problems with my truck involving the engine. i wouldn't think its anything. However your truck is still covered under warranty so for piece of mind you could always check. ive had my 2010 H3 Alpha now for 3 months. I havent really payed attention to the heat guage on this truck really but I will over the next few days and let you know what i see. Best of luck and hope you enjoying your H3

MISKC91 09-14-2010 11:15 PM

Hi 3Hummer..thanks so much for your detailed reply. The one hot day driving mountain roads with the air on seemed to be the only day..you are correct, I am under warranty still...I'm keepin a check on it...I would be interested in knowing about the gauge in your new Hummer..although, it probably isn't that hot now....thanks so much..

P.S. are you on facebook?

Webster1 09-25-2010 03:27 PM

I live in Texas and mine climbs up when sitting in traffic during the summer.

cdmintmi 12-09-2010 05:35 AM

mine used to run a little on the hot side when i first got it. my first oil change i went with Mobil1 and its alot cooler now. I think the switch to synthetic is what made the difference

3Hummer 12-11-2010 07:32 AM

just an update, i have about 8000 miles on my new truck (2010 H3 Alpha) the heat guage for the most part runs at half. I have yet to see this one run at 3/4.

trailerpup 12-25-2010 12:12 AM

Fairly common. It is not a problem.