Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Emissions testing is this new??? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40207)

tcalz06 09-14-2010 01:26 AM

Emissions testing is this new???

I was just told by the AZ emissions test facility that the Hummer now has to have the tail pipe test because of its weight???????

Has anyone else ran into this? This is BS it's OBDII. Hell I took a Z06 covette in that could barley idle with 650 hp and they didn't care. Plug it in and go

So is this how they go after the remaining H2's now? set stricter test requirements than other OBDII vehicles?

scottminor 09-14-2010 05:11 AM

Re: Emissions testing is this new???

In Georgia we are exempt due to the weight.

Rico001 09-14-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottminor
In Georgia we are exempt due to the weight.

Unless State by State sets their own rules I thought they were all exempt due to weight.:popcorn:

IRA51 09-14-2010 06:22 PM

With Gordon Darby doing the inspections you never know . If you want to know for sure call ADEQ ask to speak to Adrion Osborne 602-771-3959 he is the man over at 40th st in Phoenix.

tcalz06 09-14-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRA51
With Gordon Darby doing the inspections you never know . If you want to know for sure call ADEQ ask to speak to Adrion Osborne 602-771-3959 he is the man over at 40th st in Phoenix.

Thanks for the name. My 05 did pass but they looked it over pretty good.

They looked at much more than I've seen them do on my other vehicles in the past

father_of_4 09-15-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcalz06
Thanks for the name. My 05 did pass but they looked it over pretty good.

They looked at much more than I've seen them do on my other vehicles in the past

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I hope it changes by the time I have to take my 2008 in. Wonder how they will handle a corsa cat back exhaust...

Cool to see a couple more Arizona folks on here.

Doesn't everyone look over the H2 pretty good? It's just a car people!

Bob

VegasGuy 09-15-2010 06:19 PM

I just had my H2 smogged here in Nevada (required every year). I did not pay close attention, but I seem to remember the guy sticking a sensor in the tailpipe and hooking up the cable under the dash.

scottminor 09-15-2010 06:59 PM

If I do not have to have an emissions test, why would I bother to have CATs? Would my O2 sensors freak out?

Scarsman 09-15-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

If I do not have to have an emissions test, why would I bother to have CATs? Would my O2 sensors freak out?

Yes you would throw codes for sure. You can get modules to fool the computer to fix that, but with modern cats there is no real reason to remove them. Pulling cats out is kind of a carry over from the early days when cats were highly restrictive. The current ones really are not restrictive at all. But to each his own.

scottminor 09-15-2010 08:48 PM

I am sure the Prius owners would be looking to arrest me if they thought I had done that.

tcalz06 09-18-2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by father_of_4
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I hope it changes by the time I have to take my 2008 in. Wonder how they will handle a corsa cat back exhaust...

Cool to see a couple more Arizona folks on here.

Doesn't everyone look over the H2 pretty good? It's just a car people!

Bob

This guy actually pulled out a mirror and looked under my vehicle.
I was planning on doing some mods to add some HP but with the tail pipe test I think that will kill those plans. The whole point of OBDII is that they just plug in.
I'm guessing it isn't easy to pass a tail pipe test with heads and cam unless you load a very lean tune just to take the test.

I think you will be fine with the cat back. Did you have another H2 before your 08? I really don't like the Hp these earlier models have when going up to Northern AZ

IRA51 09-23-2010 12:14 AM

No problem with a cat back system ,they use the mirror to see if your cats are still on the truck . They must do a tamper inspection on 1975 and newer vehicles . They are good guys over at 40th street ADEQ and will help you should you need it . Since the fired Dirty Dave the mooch everyone at 40th street is Kool .

Flare 09-13-2012 09:59 PM

I know this is an old thread but any issues with emissions testing in Az for a H2 (even a modified one:D )?