View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 02:33 PM

Jesse is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JetEyeNite:
Jesse,
I meant to ask how did you connect the wires for the camera to the LCD screen. It looks like you connected the camera power from your trailer connector but how did you manage to add the switch to turn it on?
What about the video output from the camera to the LCD? Did you have to drill anything? Where is the entry point from the camera video cable to the inside?
thanks in advance... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Running the video cable was easy. If you look at your rear tail light - the wires that power it come from the outside. There is a rubber grommet that can you can easily cut into to feed the video wire through. I just cut the grommet – ran the wire then used silicone around it to insure it still had a tight seal. From the tail-light area there is a small hole that leads to the inside of the cargo cabin. This is behind all the plastic. I then just ran the wire all along the side and hide it under the door jams (or whatever you want to call them). They easily pull up and you can feed the wire through. I brought the wire all the way up to the front and rand it up behind the glove compartment around to the center console. It was very easy- whole job of running the wires took no more than 20 minutes. Took me this long because I did not have a knife sharp enough to cut through the grommet.

As for the video switch – the PAC-Audio unit has one lead that is connected to the reverse line in your truck. Whenever the truck is in reverse the camera comes on. This is the Video2 input on the PAC piece. For the Video1 – they include a switch. Any time you turn the switch on whatever is coming into Video1 will be displayed on the screen. Since I had 3 sources – I wired all 3 sources into one 3 way switch (Camera, DVD, AUX3 on my rear entertainment system). I then used the PAC-Audio switch (using a nicer looking one switch) to turn on or off the source for the screen.

I hope I am not confusing you – but here is how it works.
1. When in reverse the rear camera always comes on.
2. While in use – I can switch the NAV screen from factory to video in with one switch.
3. With another switch I can flip from 3 different video sources.