View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 12:53 PM

hotpursuit is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alec W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shipbldr:
Back the tree thing...

I see the whole tree thing from a different angle too.

I guess I got jaded about the whole chainsaws and trees cut down thing.

I must have become "tree insensitive" at work... you see... a couple of twigs at the Funlands aren't the first to die for my Hummer...

Here's picture from "the yard" at "work"

so... let the whining about dead trees roll in!

I think it took about 310 acres of clear cut trees to pay for my Hummer....

And yes... now that you mention it I probably could have winched off of somethings, but no we didn't care to waste the time.

But it is a point taken, and will be in the back of my mind.

My main thought about trees is that they "grow back".

Different world views I guess.

Live well </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What a crock of <span class="ev_code_BLACK">s</span>hit. Analogizing the lumber business with treading lightly on trails is absurd.

It’s obvious you live back East where most of the public OHV trails have been closed for years and most wheeling (if not all) is in OHV parks or on private land. Ever wondered why we don’t have to put big ugly red flags on our vehicles when we wheel out here? It’s because we wheel on public land and we still have the right to drive on a designated ROWs (right of way).

Out here in the West we are fighting everyday with environmentalists to keep our public lands and trails in places like Moab and the Colorado Rockies open for OHV use. Most of the arguments used by environmentalists are exemplified by demonstrating that OHV use wrecks the land. Such examples typically show some fool driving over something which takes years to back. An extreme case in the high Rockies is arctic tundra, however they will often take any information (pictures and video) they can find and twist it out of context to further their cause.

In actuality the vast majority of wheelers out West are good stewards of the land and respectful of the environment and cause (I know the group that hits up Moab twice a year from this forum is). It’s the smaller minority of people that will eventually cause our trails to be closed. Some of these people are simply uneducated and the rest are idiots.

Tell you what, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and take your "grow back" attitude as the latter.
* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

alec, i understand your point on this. in utah there are not many trees... in the west alot of land is owned by the government... in the east alot of the land is private ownership, mainly for logging industry income. alot of private owners do not want vehicle on there property for liability reasons, the ones that do are real specific about not affecting trees that have logging value. its just alot different out here... i have never blazed a rail, but we have built trails on numerous private properties, alot of places i go, you could not fit a quad through with out cutting a few trees down.

now we can look at pictures and videos and say moab is hardcore, sure, the angles can get extreme... thats because the traction is plentiful. throw some loose dirt/mud to the mix and its just as hard if not harder, even though the "angles" arent as extreme...

now go ahead and bash me again, when im am trying to be open minded and put another view point out there.