View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by ree:
f5, spot on...except for the bullet part Mrs's net idea is right. We [supposedly] had all the illegals gathered up yesterday if you believe what the media told us.

Illegal immgrancy aside, the language thing really pisses me off. Why do we need voting ballots in anything other than English. English is not our official language, but if you look at naturalization requirements, it's implied that you should know enough English to pass the rest of the test in order be a citizen. Now we have municipalities getting all sorts of signs and forms made up in a multitude of languages further legitimizing the perspective that English isn't required.

Not that knowing other people's languages is bad, but you shouldn't have to learn someone else's just to stay here. If I were going to live in some other country for a while, I'm pretty damn sure I'd put in an effort to learn their language. The tax payers shouldn't have to foot the bill to cater the lazy anti-assimilators especially the ones here illegally.

This is a big issue of mine with any guest worker program. If we can't even get our citizens to speak English, how are we going to expect the same of people here on guest worker visas.

Melting Pot = Try to Assimilate, Do Now! ... which of course means that if(when) English speakers become a minority we're screwed.

Totally agree. I grew up in a mixed neighborhood with Italians, Greeks, etc., and I can remember as a kid, the parents always telling the kids to speak English, and they wanted all the English speaking kids to speak nothing but English to the kids and the parents.
They knew, and wanted to, learn English as fast as possible. The schools didn't have courses such as English for a second language, the parents paid for, and went to night school.
They become citizens as soon as possible, and never asked for anything other than a fair chance.
They came over here via legal channels, and everyone accepted them, as they accepted the American values. They became great assets to this country.
My own Mother immigrated here from Scotland, via Canada. She did have the advantage of already speaking English (Queen's English, but it was English), and she became a citizen as soon as possible.
Why don't people understand, the illegals have already violated our laws, that is why intelligent people call them illegals.
I can't say I have the answer, I don't. But I do know that giving them amnesty is not the correct thing to do. If our politicians cannot understand the word Illegal, and what it stands for, then what's stopping others from doing illegal acts.

We as Americans, who are fed up with this ****, have to blast our Senators/Congressman, and duffus GW with emails, letters, phone calls, etc., and let them know that one million illegals marching is nothing compared to 200+ million Americans, pulling the levers at the voting booth.

(Might as well forget about writing duffus, him and Fuentes are in bed together.)