View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 1COOLH3:
I tried mine several times today and it did work by lightly pushing back on the glass with my fingers. HOWEVER- I stuck a pair of gloves in between the glass and frame and then closed the sunroof and it closed all the way- if that were fingers they would have been crushed at the least.

I also looked up the sunroof description and operation in the GM Dealer Service Manual and there is no mention of the anti-pinch feature:

Sunroof Description and OperationThe power sunroof is controlled by the sunroof switch through the open and close motor control circuits. Ignition voltage is supplied to the sunroof switch through the retained accessory power (RAP) relay and the sunroof 20A fuse in the underhood BEC. While the sunroof switch is in an inactive state both switch contacts are closed to the sunroof switch ground circuit. When an open or close button is pressed on the sunroof switch, its switch contact is closed to the voltage supply circuit. The motor is bi-directional and the direction of motor rotation is determined by which of the motor control circuits is switched to positive voltage while the other remains grounded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the owner's manual:
Anti-Pinch Feature
If an object is in the path of the sunroof when it is closing, the anti-pinch feature will detect the object and stop the sunroof from closing at the point of the obstruction. The sunroof will then return to the full-open
or vent position, and the air deflector will raise.

I would also like to point out that a pair of gloves will not offer the resistance required to stop the sunroof and reverse it. A pencil will stop it, as well as fingers.

How it works (not in the service manual), but I will assume it operates similar to any Valeo or Wabasto sunroof with the anti-pinch feature. There is an internal quick blow circuit breaker built into the motor. A set resistance to the sunroof glass causes the breaker to break the circuit, stopping the sunroof movement. The module senses the break in the circuit, and that it is not fully closed or open, and reverses direction.

I will say it will pinch, but it certainly did not break my fingers or even leave a mark that lasted more than 30 seconds.

If some are not operating corrrectly, I would guess the motor module has to be replaced.