Thread: Jeeps are junk?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2005, 12:01 PM

Dallion is off the scale

Wow that’s some pretty fierce off-roading you were doing in your G-wagon, I never would have attempted the rocky-12-degree-hill-that-looks-like-my-neighbors-driveway obstacle. Maybe you can Photoshop it and show me the line you took incase I ever have to go to his house.

As far as the H2's DNA (heritage as you call it) well it is still assembled by AM General. GM purchased the rights to use the 'Hummer' name, as well as provided their basic truck platform for the vehicle to be built off of, which was then modified heavily. Did most of the parks come from the GM Parts bin? Sure they did. Does that make the H2 an inferior vehicle because of it? Absolutely not.

Parts are parts. No matter who manufactures them, at some point someone has to make them. I fail to see the relevance of 'who makes the part' lets all laugh because most of the parts on your G say 'Daimler-Chrysler' on them.

Your G is a 2004 model, which is well after the Daimler-Chrysler merger. All of the engineering now (and since 2000) has been done in the United States, by Chrysler engineers. They are also the ones responsible the new mall-queen G-Wagon that’s going to replace the model you currently drive.

My point here is that a manufacture does not make a vehicle inferior solely because of their name. The main thing that makes any off-road vehicle a poor performer is an inexperienced driver.

I have been on off-roading trips where posers in HEAVILY modified Jeeps (yes some of them even Rubicon’s) failed to keep up with us after one or two obstacles. Likewise I have wheeled with folks who kept up with me fine in a Nissan Pathfinder with mud tires and a 4" lift.

See my point? It's not what you drive; it’s how you drive it. And yes I am educated and informed on the history and development of Hummers, all the way back to the HMMWV. But if you would like some reference material to educate yourself, there is a wonderful book available by clicking here