View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 01:35 AM
Hummer Professional

nmikes is off the scale
Default Re: In Dash Navigation & Trail DVDs

Most of the canned gps system's out there don't do topo. Used to do Search and Rescue in Seattle and its nice to have the declination lines. The best is a gps reciever mated to a laptop. Easy enough in a full size truck like I had at the time, but not very doable in the '3 if you expect to ever have anyone sit shotgun. As is you can get a marine gps from garmin that you can download the topo formats onto and works pretty good from what I understand. The downside is that its for marine purposes... good for durability etc. stuff built for boating is bomb proof, but I don't know that they do the land stuff quite as nicely as say my 2730 does. Also (I'm presuming your driving a 3) there isn't alot of inches from the top of the dash to the bottom of the rearview mirror. You can easily block out a significant percentage of your visibility from the wheel... wich is at a premium already, and offroading... yikes. I ended up compromising the topo for the traffic feature. I'm quite happy with it but here is a link to gps I was thinking for the topo... hope that helps.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap478/