View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HIHUMMER = HUMMERLESS after Paragon/RauchCreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIHUMMER
F5..I don't understand this....

04/25/2006 414203 # F2383 - RING GEAR AND PINION - REAR DIFFERENTIAL - REPLACE 19285 miles

My rear diff is in PA being replaced right now??? At leasts that's what they are telling me....

Ok...so like I said in my thread original I'm still learning what these parts are....so sue me if I mistaken the word "bearing" for "pinion" or whatever. So...they replace my Ring and Pinion in the front differential....? is that right?

If the rear diff is being replaced right now, there will be no claim for the replacement, until the job is finished. At which time they will claim the same labor operation number F2383.
If, and I say if because I'm not in the dealer, you had the lapping compound issue and didn't realize it until 19K miles, and the dealer only replaced the ring/pinion set, that could be why your rear diff failed again. If the first rear diff was a complete assembly replaced, the dealer would have claimed F3200 Rear Differential Assembly (Complete) - Replace.
It almost sounds like this is the problem. Maybe with all those new radios you couldn't hear the rear axle whining. (Only kidding...)
The only other thing would be if it wasn't the lapping compound problem, the first tech may not have set up the ring/pinion gear correctly, and they failed a few thousand miles later.
To be completely honest to you and everyone else, we DO NOT have a problem with rear diffs; other than the lapping compound issue. The rear diff is strong enough so that if something breaks it is usually the axle shaft (weakest point in the link), versus the front diff.