View Single Post
Old 06-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Hummer Professional

31_bandits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why the FJ Cruiser is no Threat to the H3

Hey you guys, try this:

the toyota tundra is rated at >10" of ground clearance, with my air suspension not engaged my H2 is rated at 9.9"

I measured them both the other day & took pictures, but the pictures didn't turn out very well. However, the H2 is ~10" to the rear differential, and with or without the rear suspension engaged the next lowest point is ~11" and is the front skidplate. the protection cage behind the skidplate is >12", and the rest of the underbody is 13-14" or so

The Tundra has an abundance of things - covering the length of the vehicle - that are ~9", 9.5", less than 9" and so on.

The same is true of the FJ and the H3. I haven't taken a ruler to those vehicles, but i've crawled underneath and used my shoe. My guess is that not only is the clearance of the FJ not greater than the H3, its at least an inch less. and the underbody protection isn't up to the standards of the hummers.

I recommend trying this at home.

And further, i recommend that somebody compare many different vehicles, all measured the same way, because the manufacturers specs for ground clearance are completely screwy.

i didn't find anywhere on an H3 with the offroad tires that was 9.1". maybe hummer rated it lower to differentiate from the H2. And there's no way in heck that the Tundra is 10.4" off the ground, and i don't care how you measure it.

same for alot/most of the vehicles on the road. i think ground clearance is best left to a ruler, and not to the internet and makers spec sheets.