View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Hummer Professional

31_bandits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gas Milage Tips And Mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubs
I agree that most hippies, and people(morons) in general, refuse to believe, or don't want to believe that the H2 is capable of getting 15MPG. I say they think this because:
1. Their SU-BA-RU only gets 18MPG.
2. HUMMERS must be evil, because they're so cool.
3. Their minivan gets an awesome 19MPG
4. They believe GM is the worst automaker on the planet, and the General could never build any vehicle capable of high MPG or quality.

Personally, THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE MISSING!!!

I have noticed on every car I've owned (LC, BMW X5 and X3, H2) that the speedo always displays a higher speed than the radar thingys. I think it's to give you a buffer, that's built in to the car, against speeding. So you really think you're going 10 over when it's actually 7-8.

I agree that I'd like to get the best mileage I can. I see no reason why I shouldn't try for that. Lately, and this is really bugging me, the trip miles vs. gallons used is calculating something like 17MPG. The overall average is about 15 MPG according to the computer. I am going to find out today what the actual mileage is by dividing my next tank by the miles. But I do go easy on stoplight pullouts, try to time braking to avoid sitting at redlights, and keep the throttle low climbing the passes.

Actually, my theory is that those activities combine with decreased air pressure at high altitude (about 9,000 feet) cause the gas molecules injected into the engine to disperse more readily, therefore creating more complete combustion of the fuel and causing an increase in fuel economy. However, there is less O2 at this elevation, which may negate any such effects. Perhaps my H2 is just wonderfully fuel efficient.

Or maybe the trip computer is lying to me... I bet Onstar reprogrammed it to make me think that I'm getting better mileage.

I do notice that my tank seems to fluctuate wildly (I'm talking 1/4 tanks disappear in minutes) sometimes with it returning to previous levels.

http://www.landroverforums.com/m_12175/tm.htm

interestingly, that's about exactly what you hypothesized earlier.