View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale
Default Re: Ocean City Maryland beach hummer accident

It's so sad to read this story. I spent a week on Assateague last year, and it is barren, and for the most part the lower extremeties are empty. I think this is a champion case for the "Save My Own @ss" theory (SMOA). Maybe a CB, some e-blankets, water, and a first aid kit could have been lifesavers, along with some flares, a flare gun, and bullhorn. The Coast Guard should have whipped out a chopper to scan the island and would have probably found the heat signature from the H2's engine in a matter of 1 hour from dispatch. Unfortunately, the urgency got lost somewhere. Anyway, going back to Assateague in a month, I will now make sure I have enough supplies with to SMOA in case the unforseen happens. I usually have flares, e-blankets, a large first aid kit, and a 1.5 million candlewatt cordless spotlight. I will invest in a CB now before I get down there, and maybe some off-road lights to make the usual nighttime drive out of there a lot easier to see. It is hard to see once the sun goes down, especially if a fog comes in or there's a lot of spray. It's very disorienting out there.

I realize the victims families haven't been here for over a year, but I still send my sympathies to them.