View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale
Default Re: Why is Towing limit lower on Manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEST 4x4xFAR
Okay,
So the Automatic is rated to tow 4,500 lbs, but the manual only 3,000 lbs. Same vehicle otherwise, so why the significant discrepancy in tow ratings? Is it because the manual gearbox is already marginal for the application (input torque rating of 225 lbs/ft, and the engine is rated for a max of 225 lbs/ft -- What are they doing for '07 manuals by the way)? 4,500 lbs is already low compared to its completion, but 3,000 lbs is just plain sad. Anyone know for sure why GM underrated the Manual by 1,500 lbs?

Basically, I disagree with everything you are bitching about.

4,500# for a mid-size is quite good. Cherokees were rated at 5k and 3.5k (auto/man) and I can absolutely say they were overrated (trust me, I pulled a 4000# trailer w/my 5 speed, scary $hit).

I'd guess, with it's curb weight, the H3 could pull (not endorsing anything here) at least 6k pounds w/o safety issues, wire a trailer brake and maybe more. You wouldn't go fast, but my experience towing has been there is a difference between safe (way over the factory rating) and fast (less than the factory rating).

There are many people here who have towed w/their H3 regularly and haven't had problems. The H3 drivetrain is mostly made up of full-size equipment (tranny, difs, etc). Do you have a trailer that weighs more than 4700 lbs? If so, maybe you should think of a dedicated tow rig, if it's less tha 4,700 lbs (say a camper trailer, small car hauler, quad trailer, etc) it will be fine and quit bitching about numbers on paper and go drive it!