View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 05:34 AM
Hummer Expert

GeorgeSSSS is off the scale
Default Re: Buying new pistol, need advice

My friend's son is a Navy seal officer and I'm told he carries a Glock in 45 cal. Since he can choose whatever he wants, enough said about whether Glocks are a good choice.

However, he isn't shooting at bears. Unless you have some experience shooting at moving game (especially dangerous game that is moving AT YOU), it seems to me that stopping power is your most important value. That means at least 44 magnum. Also, I don't think you want a pistol with a safety on it that you need to work when you only have moments to get a shot or two off at a bear. There are no small 44 magnum pistols to my knowledge.

Given all of the above, my humble recommendation would be to buy a Smith & Wesson 329PD. It has a 4" barrel, scandium alloy frame, and a titanium cylinder -- -- making it the lightest 44 Magnum on the planet. That way, you won't be discouraged to carry it in the bush.

Then I would spend another $100 (more or less) and have a first class gunsmith polish the mating surfaces of the revolver's action and take a piece out of the trigger spring -- -- this will lighten up the trigger pull.

I'd also have a ramp front sight installed (if it doesn't already have one) so it pulls from a holster smoothly. Then I'd get a good leather holster (I think you can draw from leather easier than ballistic nylon).

If you're shooting at bear, I'd buy three boxes of PROLOAD .44 Magnum 270 grain "GAME STOPPER" JSP bullets (that's 60 rounds) and I'd shoot two boxes at the range.

Then, I'd practice pulling the gun from the holster and shooting it EMPTY at least 20 or 30 times. Then I'd try it 15 times with live ammo. This will leave you with 5 bullets. Load the gun with an empty chamber under the hammer.

If everything works well and feels good at that point, I'd say you have a gun you can stake your life on for the next 30 to 40 years -- -- provided you shoot it occasionally to stay in practice.

I also recommend getting other opinions, but those are mine.

Good luck and pray you never have to use it against anything but paper.

George SSSS
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system