View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale
Default Re: "Normal And Acceptable Noise For Metallic Brakes"... please tell me this is BS!

Realistically - yes, it can happen.

Here's the reason:

The brake pads will "float" a bit. The floating action will be in all three dimensions (right/left/up/down/forward/back). This prevents the pad from binding and will prevent brake drag from happening, thereby preventing unncessary wear.

Lazy assemblers will not put enough brake pad squeal prevention backing on the pad, thereby allowing the pad to float up and down to make the click sound. As the rotor turns, the pad (since they *are* new) will also grab the rotor until they break in.

So - you can do the following:

1) Take the pads off yourself and chamfer the leading and trailing edges. Add a boatload of anti-squeal and replace

2) Take it to another dealer - make THEM do step 1.

3) Take it to the same dealer - make THEM do step 1

4) Wait another 500 miles and allow the pads to break in normally.

If you do not see any loss in braking power, you really will be fine. I'm sure F5Fstop will chime in, but there will be some tolerances that are acceptable in new brake pads and new rotors. Yours might just be on the annoying side of the tolerance level...

After 2.5k miles on my wife's H3, all strange noises have either abated or we've tracked them down to their source. It did take that long to get there though..