View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 02:41 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear Diff going bye, bye??

Hey guys and gals.

Today while i was getting out of my garage the DIC and and some lights on the instrument cluster lit up like a ristmas tree. I got the engine light and the traction light on. Contacted onstar and they said that i got a big problem, even though she phrased it differently. On the DIC i got reduced engine power, traction failed, and stab system off.

I tried to figure out what may be wron and i came up with something. When shifting into Drive, and only into drive I get a grind or squeal (kinda combination) sound from the rear diff. What could be happening?

I remembered that someone was talking about some diffs coming out of the factory with something in the diff oil that causes premature wear, could that be it?

If that is it does it mean the rear diff has to be replaced or what?

Oh and here is the real question on my mind, currently i have a non locking diff, if they have to replace it under warranty, do you guys think I can pay the difference for a locking rear diff. This is a great opportinity to get a locking diff if possible. Is it possible???

I will take the truck into service tomorow and see what they say. Im not praying for a busted diff so that i can upgrade, but if its meant to be who am i to stop it.

What do you guys and gals think????
Thanks!!