Thread: 4x4low
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 4x4low

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerHippy
Last button...is traction control I think (to be more specific). I don't believe 06 5-speed's have Stabilitrak. Think I read that they all do for 07.
And what is the real difference between the two (stabilitrak and traction control)? Both seem to be computer based braking to help with ...I guess, tracking and or stability (possibly rollover avoidance?).

Yep, my 07 5-spd has stabilitrak

Traction control keeps wheel slippage down by braking the spinning wheel and transfering torque to the wheel with traction.

Stabilitrak helps control vehicle direction to prevent rollover. Sensors detect speed, roll and yaw and the computer lightly brakes one or more of the wheels as needed. It works around corners, when swerving, and in slippery conditions. The computer can even override your brake and throttle input (in case you freeze or panic) so you don't worsen a skid, or any fishtailing or snowplowing.

For example ... you're driving down a straight highway at 70 mph and a deer jumps in front of you. You swerve left to miss it, so now you're pointing left but your momentum is still going forward. You're at risk for a rollover. Sensing your speed, yaw (right and left motion) and imminent roll, Stabilitrak will apply light brake to your right rear wheel. This brings your nose back in line with your forward momentum and you regain control. At this point, the driver's primary job is to steer. If there's any traction on the road, Stabilitrak finds it.

Here's a more comprehensive description from GM http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...venty/472.html

Last edited by Wisha Haddan H3 : 09-29-2006 at 06:45 PM.