View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: power upgrades...

I think 225K miles is a good trade off as well, but I doubt the engine is going to go that long. It very well could, but you would need to be nice to her. There's the problem: why the hell would you bolt on that power to not use it.

The figures given on HP and TQ gained are ahhh.... well, how can I say this? Optamistic would be a good way to put it. The concensus among the people that have put them on is that there is no way you have increased you power by that much. Think about it: you bolt on 100hp, thats a third more hp. You will feel a difference, and not a bad one at that, but not a third more horsepower difference.

As far as what you are doing to the engine. You ARE increasing the air fuel ratio, thats where the power comes from. Period. The injectors are squirting in more fuel, and the computer has re-mapped the fuel curve. In doing so you can greatly increase your EGTS, and you combustion temps. This is where the increased wear on your engine comes in. In that kit you are also increasing the boost, which is F-ing with your compression ratio, and putting even more wear on the engine. If I had the money laying around for these upgrades I'd buy them plain and simple. But, I would also make sure that I had the money for a new engine too. Just in case.

If you really want some power the best upgrade is an intercoooler. Period. You are loosing a true 50hp and roughly 60 lbs/tq by not having one. Diesel engines run much better with an intercooler, the use of the turbo with an intercooler produces a much more efficant form of forced induction. Albeit next to a built engine it is the most expensive performance upgrade out there, but its the best. And it will not decrease the life of the engine either.

-007=