View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it just me?????

Did it work correctly before you replaced the bulbs?
I cannot see how just switching out the bulbs would cause this problem.
The high and low beams are directly controlled by the BCM depending upon input from the switch on the steering column.
This signal from the switch is what the BCM uses to determine if the high or low beams should be on. To turn on the low beams, the BCM grounds the HDLP relay, allowing current to flow to the low beam bulbs. A ground path is supplied for the low beam filament, through the HI/LO Relay, that is not energized by the BCM.
When you go to HI beams, the H/LO relay is energized supplying a different ground path, allowing the HI beam filaments to be grounded. If the BCM lights up the HI beams, it then supplies a command signal to the I/P module via the Class 2 serial data link.
Only thing I can see that could possibly cause this problem would be the BCM or the IPC. Even if the switch was bad, I can't see how this would affect the circuit. Even if the higher wattage bulbs had fried the wiring, this should not affect the high beam indicator. The higher wattage bulbs could not have fried the BCM circuitry, since there is no direct link between the BCM and the bulbs, due to the circuits being controlled via two relays.

Do you have any other strange things happenings, other than in the IP? If so, it could be the BCM, if not, it probably is the IP cluster.