Thread: Chains Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 01:27 AM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chains Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck BB62
I don't know who taught him but it's true, to a point. If it's REALLY deep, you gotta float on top. The H3 would take 44" tires to float on top of snow! To go in the snow, digging down to the road is best for traction. I've done a lot of snow wheeling and the best I've ever done is in a heavy Scout II with 33x9.5s with chains. Nobody else could break trail, jeeps with aired down fat tires included. When I got into the snow so deep that I was plowing with the front bumper, about 2 and a half feet of wet heavy snow, I finally couldn't go anymore. All four wheels were off the ground and freewheeling. That's when we ate lunch. We sat there and watched the three jeeps that were following us digging, winching, cussing and working to turn around and get back in our tracks to go home. If the snow is powdery, anything can drive through it. If it's wet and heavy, you have to float on top and it takes a LOT of tire to do that.

If the snow is deep and freezes a crust and allows you to get part way in before you dig in, you're screwed. We spent four hours one day in snow up to our ballsacks just digging out, getting turned around, and back out when this happened. I've seen abandoned vehicles this happened to. Floating on top is dangerous, if you stop or dig in and it's really deep and you're a long way away from someone, you may be walking out and if you don't have snow shoes, it's gonna be tough.

I have a full set of chains for my H3 for emergencies. They flat work. You can go when no others are going. They're kind of low profile and the I triple zip tie the binders down so that there's little chance of them coming off and tearing the hell out of the fenders. Next time I have 'em on, I'll take a picture.
HuckBB62
Did you make up your own chains, mod or buy? Your going places with chains others will be stuck. Better than finding/changing skinny shoes for your H3!
The BB62 are you a Navy Battleship NJ Vet?
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!