View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 12:29 AM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: H1 Alpha top speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck BB62
Nah, it'd be just fine even with a blowout. Todays tires are so much better than what I used to drive on. I'd take the stock tires on the H1 to over 120mph any day, after all, I used to go that fast on bias plys in my old Ford Galaxie! Seriously, the H1's so wide and stable that at 100mph a blowout wouldn't be a huge problem. Quite unlike the movies where vehicles go cartwheeling down the street when a tire gets shot out, the H1 would steer well and just be pulled over to the side. It might be ugly in the fender well, but shouldn't be any big freakout deal.

Do the grab handles in your trucks have permanent imprints in them from your passengers clinging to them for their lives? A HUMMER does NOT make one anywhere near indestructable. Fast is for sports cars with ESC, Brembos, sport tires, and finely tuned suspensions. I'm sorry for the mean reply, but everyone has a responsibility for the safety of other drivers and themselves. Especially those who drive heavy and large vehicles which can inflict a ton of damage on the average car. Like this thread. If someone wants to go fast, they should buy something that is designed to go fast.

Remember too that in an H1, because of the geared hubs, the brakes are stopping about twice the speed of the vehicle. So if you're "cruising" along at 120MPH, the brakes are going to be working as hard as if they were stopping from 240MPH.

Great power=Great responsibility.

Last edited by BlueHUMMERH2 : 03-31-2007 at 12:32 AM.