Thread: H2 Snorkel
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale
Default Re: H2 Snorkel

Hey dr,

We know about these but, we want to do a closed system as the reverse cowl hood scoop is functional. Thinking that if not a closed system the breathless type system will just suck in more mosture and debri as scoop removes allot of heated air fast. Normal air coming in through radiator and front goes around engine and down under rig so breathless type setup would work better then. The scoop changes direction of air flow as well as increases the flow. Well anyway i know You get where i'm going with it all. Sorry!

The covers have to be custom color matched anyway so we have figured that we know how to cut and add screen which will make it all done for little or nothing. We have to add some tubing in correct size an shape to fit the cold air kit, then enclose filter in a round canister, and an overall flow design thinking ahead of removing the MAF when boost get's past 15lbs. of boost. That and more stuff will come up not yet forseen. On the driver side I will do an open cap and just cut hole out to help lower engine bay temps working with the reverse cowl scoop.

With the SC intake direction, water/meth kit, co2 bottle to cool down aftercooler and some other stuff like SC cooling pump etc. room is limited. We have had to already rework the cold air kit some to fit space allowed. We will have to make a round canister for conical air filter so as to get it to a closed system along with coming up with a rain drain and maybe a heavy debri catcher also. The large tractors I owned had just ahead or on the leading end of the canister a 2 inch round drop tube with a rubber duckbil shaped drain that let water out as well let You squeeze it and make larger heavier trash drop out that would collect ahead of air filter. It worked well on the slow tractors but, it would have to be tried at faster speeds to see if the intake air will slow down enough for trash to fall into drain as well as water. I'm thinking water will if it is not atomized to much going through screen and turns. I would hope water would collect on tube walls and fall to bottom side of tube and into drain. If not it will be filtered and maybe less water in methanol inj. LOL

I'm also not sure i want forced air into SC so i'm thinking of turning and putting both cap screens on back side so filter get's colder air and the driver side just helps to remove more engine bay heat.

I have a design in mind we just have to try it and make adjustments. Part of the fun I guess of doing something different though it is a little nerve racking at first try, yet fun when you beat the problem.

Thanks dr for making me think about it more as we knew we could do the screens for next to nothing. You got me to thinking about harder. It has been on the back burner for a long time now.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges