View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

algy is on a distinguished road
Default Dry Out Rear Mat [Tutorial PART I]

This tutorial is dedicated to those individuals that are hardcore enough to get your H3 water-born and live to tell about it. After paying for repairs in excess of $1,700 out of warranty due to a poorly engineered gas tank, I decided to dry my truck out on my own.

The objective of this tutorial is to show you how to install the rubber-foam storage area mat located in the rear of your H3 in the event you take in water or you experience a catastrophic spill while transporting beer or a bleeding corps.

Though the tutorial does not discuss the removal of the mat, the installation coverage provides enough documentation to assist. I must note that the removal is much easier to achieve than the installation. You can accomplish the removal in 10 minutes and install the mat in about 45 minutes.

Why remove the mat in the first place. Unlike your carpet in the H3 which both share the underlying foam, the carpet is lightly undercoated with the foam and can easily dry with open doors and windows on sunny and breezy days. The rear mat contains a much thicker coating of foam and is protected by impenetrable rubber coverage. Once soaked, it nearly yields three times its weight in water and there is no where for it to go. It will sit and mold and ultimately begin to rust out the body of your H3.

Note: Once the mat is removed, it will take several days or weeks to dry in a hot, direct sunlight and non-humid environment. After removing my mat, it took 2 weeks to dry out.

After pulling the mat, I also thought about leaving it out and getting a simple rubber mat to replace the area covered. After driving, your rear passengers will appreciate the noise dampening foam that muffle out the sounds of the rear dif and wheel wells.

Tools you will need:

1) Carpenters Knife (Box Cutter)
2) Pliers
3) Ratchet equipped with a T45 (TXR Star bit)
4) Bottle Opener

Step 1: Inspect that your mat is dry and free of moisture. It’s not going to get any drying in your H3. The following image displays the under body of the mat:

Step 2: Remove the HUMMER labeled snap plate located at the rear of the storage area. You would have had to remove this when pulling the mat. It is best to start in the middle and gently pull the plate up. It will take some force to remove, but take your time.

Step 3: Inspect the reverse side of the plate to insure you pulled it with all the rivets. If any rivets came loose or stuck to the truck frame, use the pliers to extract them and then re-attach them to the plate.

Step 4: Clean the vehicle body and ensure additional moisture is gone. By the time your mat is clean, this will be dry.

Step 5: Slowly pull back the left and right interior panels. Be very careful not to force it and watch for connecting wires such as.. (Auxiliary cigarette lighter, sound system wires)

Right Panel:

Left Panel:

Go Here: http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=27724

Last edited by algy : 06-16-2007 at 01:30 AM.