View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale
Default Re: front hitch mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-H3
So was I. I almost cancelled my order after thinking about how low the hitch sat. If we can't fabricate a new mount, I'm thinking of buying one of these:

but installing it upside down. As long as it will stick out far enough from the bumper at that angle, it would raise the hitch mount 4 or 6 inches, depending on the one I get.

My wife is getting a bit upset. What she thought was a simple winch purchase is adding up as I keep getting these little extras for the set up; new battery, quick disconnect power cables, hitch extender, etc. Like I told her, wanna play we gotta pay.

You might want to watch out with those - winches put a LOT of stress on parts, and hitch adapters like that may not be rated to handle what your winch would pull.

This of this - if you are pulling your 4900# H3 up a hill out of a ditch, and you have a hitch that's rated at 4500# (the tow rating of the H3) and then you change that rating by using an extension bar like that (that drops the rating), you run the risk of the hitch being used outside it's rating - not a always a good idea! A 9000# winch can tear out a hitch (or hitch pin!) if the conditions are right, not something you want to have happen in the field...