View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by CO Hummer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
It's looking like this is not systemic problem. Already, it appears that some ring gears can possibly make it through the system into the front of the trucks without proper hardening for the harder type wheeling that Golden Spike requires.

I don't know.....that seems like too great a coincidence that both trucks would have the same metallurgic problem, both would experience the same effect on the exact same obstacle, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, I really, really don't like coincidences and I agree. But there might be a relationship to the two trucks through the front ring/pinions because their build dates are fairly close together.

Not knowing the entire process at the gear manufacturer, it's really hard to speculate further. But they are very into this potential problem and if it was systemic then more than the handful that have shown up would likely have occured.

I have to also question why Golden Stairs. I wonder if the front diffs heated up from the hard wheeling up to the stairs and that changed it's properties some. Undoubtedly, some of the other days would have stressed the diff as much as the stairs did at that time.