Thread: Dilemma!
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

bullsnake is on a distinguished road
Default Dilemma!

Hey guys-I have a little, no large dilemma that came up over the weekend and I am hoping to get a little guidance from some of you that are more well versed in all things Hummer.

As a lot of you know I just sunk a TON of money into a '96 wagon that I swore I would never sell. Well, this weekend I was approached by a local collector here in Des Moines that owns several other collector cars. He already dumped a few of them, and is at the point where his construction business is about to go into default unless he liquidates several of his "toys". One of his vehicles that he needs to move now is an Alpha wagon with 2200 mi on it. As you can imagine, it is pristine, and he has all books, records, etc, that go along with it. The price he quoted me is $20,000.00 below what they are going for currently, and I can come up with half of the money in cash and I spoke to my banker and he will float me a short term loan to do the transaction. I am one of those guys that is VERY anal about debt and do not take loans out for such things as this, but I am very tempted to do it, and sell my '96 to pay off the money loaned for the Alpha.

I am VERY torn up about the thought of selling the wagon, but I just do not think that I will have another Alpha in as good of condition with as low miles as this one has fall in my lap for this kind of money again. I drove it last night and I probably shouldn't have, as it was an absolutely incredible machine! The interior trim and fit and finish were way above what I was expecting, and it drove more like a civilian based vehicle than a military based one. I absolutely love it, but my wagon has a sentimental pull on me that would make it very hard to part with.

If I sold the '96, what should I ask? I was thinking somewhere in the $40-45,000.00 range. I have rec'ts for over $20,000.00 in mods for the truck from last month, and I know you never get out what you put in for mods, but I figure at that $45,000.00 range someone would be getting a great deal on a truck that is ready to go off road.

Let me know what you guys think-I have to get back to the guy with the Alpha by the end of this week.

Thanks!!
Dave