Thread: Smoked Brisket
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 03:20 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Smoked Brisket

Thanks guys.

Michael, I will use a melted herb butter and inject into tough meats if I'm worried about them drying out or just want them extra juicy. Using it in turkey is awesome. If the fat cap isn't thick enough, or if there isn't one depending on the meat I'm cooking, I'll often cover with thick bacon.

Mike, I won't be using an oven at all. If it can be cooked in the kitchen, it can be cooked on a grill.

I'll be using a rub and then a mop sauce after the bark and I've decided I'll use hickory for the first few hours.

That web site is nice and will look through it some more. I've found a bunch of info here:
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/index.php

I smoked baby backs last week and they were a bit salty. I screwed up the rub and used sea salt for the courseness, but the rub already had salt. To counter it I used some more brown sugar, but it didn't really work. On the positive side, the ribs were cooked perfectly according to the pros. It wasn't "falling off the bone", but just pulled off. I'll be doing them again soon.

I smoked a few chicken breasts tonight with mesquite, a Weber brand rub and a cheap spicy mop. Ummm, it's the first time I've liked the mesquite. I was about to give up on that wood.

Next time I do pork I want to use applewood. Apple and pork, two greats together.

Last edited by KenP : 06-03-2008 at 03:38 AM.