Thread: Smoked Brisket
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Smoked Brisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dad
Ok brain! I'll just shove stuff in it.... And hope!

I'm thinking 325 degrees should do the trick. Then I'll throw it on a smokey grill for an hour.

For a 5-6lb brisket:

1 cup of chopped jalapenos, 1 cup of chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped shallots, two cloves minced garlic. Mix all together in a bowl. Slice the brisket along its full length (butterfly style), and open it up. Spread the mixture evenly on one side and fold the other side back over (close the butterfly). Tie the brisket with cotton cooking twine. Sprinkle with salt, black pepper, and cayenne to your liking. Place on rack in pot (dutch oven or similar baking pan), cover, and cook in oven at 325 for 3 hours. Remove brisket from pot and place on grill for about an hour. I like mine charred on the outside, so I usually put it over direct heat for the last 30 minutes or so. Be careful because even after only 3 hours in the oven, the brisket can sometimes start to fall apart, making the transition to the grill messy. Remove from grill, wrap in foil and let rest for 2-30 mins.

Disclaimer: I came up with this method and the ingredients on my own, so your results may vary.

As for making the gravy, I pour the drippings into a sauce pan, bring to a simmer, add a tablespoon or so of flour, and continue stirring/cooking on a low fire until it tastes right. Usually have to add a little salt and black pepper.

Good luck!