View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Elcova Newbie

alphadriver is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Towing H3 behind motorhome?

I don't know where you guys are getting your information. I have a 2008 H3 Alpha that I tow behind my 43' 2005 MountainAire Diesel pusher. I flat tow and use the brake buddy. I have towed over 9000 this year and have had absolutely no issues what so ever. I installed a Blue Ox base plate kit and use the Blue Ox Aventa tow bar which is rated for 10000 lbs. The reason that I went with the Blue Ox base plate is that it reinforces the frame where many of the others do not. There are two 3/8" thick angle iron braces that bolted to the frame to reinforce the attachment point. There is a 3/16" thick flange plate that attaches to the front of the frame but it is not strong enough or supported well enough to sustain the constant push pull of towing. The reinforing angle irons that attaches behind each flange provides the needed reinforcement. The base plate uses the same bolts that attached the tow hooks. I also used the axuilliary lighting kit which bypasses the hummers electrical system. I didn't want to run any power through the electrical system. The brake and turn signal lights are a single light bulb that is fitted inton the brake light housing. The wiring runs from the aux. bulbs up to the power receptical that is attached to the front bumper. The power comes from the motorhome and runs directly to the light kit. The brake buddy works flawlessly. All you have to do to put the H3 in the tow mode is turn the key to the on mode push and hold the four wheel high button and the four wheel low button simultaniously for about 10 seconds until you see the neutral light. Start the engine put the tranmission in drive to make sure that the transfer case is disengaged, then shut of the engine, put the tranmission in park take the key out attach your tow bar install your brake buddy and go.