View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Hummer Veteran

rck0025 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: General Motors posts $15.5-billion quarterly loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedH2

Why do you think?

First, I think that high oil prices are moving Americans to consider other forms of energy that have been available for quite some time, but have always been too expensive.

Second, I think that hybrids are not necessarily the answer, and its only a matter of time before their effects on the environment (via their production process and battery disposal - battery acid is not so green) is called into question. So hybrids, for me, are not necessarily the answer. Although, I think their performance post production is something to strive for.

Thirdly, I think that the the big oil companies have more than enough oil to sift through, but are reluctant to refine anything but light sweet crude as it is the cheapest to refine.

Fourthly, I think that the environmental red tape surrounding natural resource extraction in this country would be significantly less if not for the Exxon-Valdez spill, although I also believe that such a future spill is not very likely.

Fifthly, I am a believer in technological innovation to solve this problem. Save the time, money and energy which is supplied to Exxon via our Govt. and develop a more efficient use of resources - say a sugar-ethanol gas type - clean burning, less inefficiency in the production process, and most importantly- exclusive from EXXON Mobil and OPEC.