View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone wheel their H3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace
One of my questions/concerns still not entirely sure of yet was the strength of the front axle and its ability to handle the larger tire, is breakage common with 35's on it or does it take the abuse ? I don't want to be swapping shafts every trip and wasting trail time...

The aluminum front diff has had some issues, mostly with those drivers that tackle very difficult trails and sometimes those that have less experience and skinny pedal too much.

The aluminum case actually flexed and allowed the ring and pinion to come out of alignment and chip teeth...... that leads to destruction.

The new cast iron cases are stronger and don't allow the flex of the aluminum. The half shafts are strong for what they are but can break also depending how hard they are pushed. I carry a spare with me in the H2 and it only cost about $60.00 shipped. I don't know about the H3's half-shaft cost.

The 35's haven't bothered my H3 at all. I haven't had issues with the front diff or tie-rods either...... and I've pushed the truck pretty hard. Driver skill is one of the most important factors.

On the other hand, I haven't run my H3 through the Rubicon and Fordyce Creek either. When the trail is hard enough.......you run the chance of breaking.

If you wheel hard trails....... stuff is gonna break. My wheelin' buddies mostly drive built wranglers (CJ's, TJ's, JK's)...... they break too. They also turn turtle.