View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

Vark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Extend Warranty Questions

Just bought '07 H2 CPO with 6/100,000 Major Guard.
In regards to extended warranties - I will tell you a story.
I got rid of my C55 AMG mercedes just because I was stupid and didn't get extended warranty, when the car was still under factory (last Sep). Everything was fine until this summer, when it wouldn't start after a 10 minute drive. Took it to dealership, turned out it was a crankshaft position sensor, had I known it, I would've replaced it myself. $640 bucks later I found out, that it was a $100 part, the rest was labor. It gets better, they did a MPI for extended warranty, and inspection revealed, that I have leaking valve covers ($1500 to fix), strut arms had to be replaced (another $1200) and since my power tilt was not working either, they priced it out at $600 to fix. I negotiated (very easily to my surprise) it down to $500. Later I found out why. I had to get my tilt fixed, so I could sell it, the rest - let CARMAX deal with it
Anyway, got the tilt fixed, looked at the ticket: $6.30 (yes, that is 6 dollars 30 cents) for the part and $490 labor Now you know, why they could give me a $100 discount - it was all labor!!!
I could've gotten the warranty a year ago, it would've cost me around $2500, but it would have paid for itself in the first year.

Anyway, the main reason I got this Hummer, because of the warranty, oh and they sold me a service contract for $20 a month: free oil changes, filters, brek pads, tire/wheel hazard and so on. I haven't decided yet, if I want to keep it though, I don't think I will have $240 in maintainance per year.