View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Hummer Novice

northern_hummer_user is on a distinguished road
Default Things I learned and miss about owning a HUMMER

In 2006, on my way to Toyota Dealer to buy a FJ Cruiser, I accidentally found a 2006 H3 dark metallic green with 5-speed, adventure package and no chrome. It was sitting at a GM dealer in Northern BC and they were trying to figure out what to do with it. A 80 yr old granny won it at the local annual bingo and since it wasn't a good match, she traded it in for a loaded minivan. It had 215 km on it.

When HUMMER was dying and it took me 3 weeks to fly brake pads and calipers up here, I traded it on a new F150 4X4 crew sadly.

Things I learned about owning a HUMMER H3:

1. I never got stuck or stranded. In fact, I often ensured that others made it home. Loved deep water too.

2. I could go where ever I wanted. Logs, Rocks, steep inclines, no problem. It cruised over decommissioned logging roads and cross ditches and the guys I hunted with had to park their Fords and Dodges and ride in the H3 or walk. 37' turning circle made it the most maneuverable vehicle ever. I did a U-turn towing a trailer downtown Whitehorse once. When confronted with a dead end in the forest, I used to be able to zip out in a tight circle but my F150 needs 50' and a 17 point turn...

3. Nothing beats super low range 69:1 and a locking rear end. Was able to tow my neighbours Toyota Rav 4 up her steep gravel driveway every time it snowed over +5 inches. She'd get halfway up and all 4 tires would spin uttil she slid back into the ditch. I even dragged her up with her e-brake on by accident. My new F150 is a million miles long and can't make it up the drive, let alone tow anything...sigh.

4. People either loved it or loved to hate you and give you the finger. That 3.5L 5-inline got great gas mileage. 20 MPG on some trips. My F150 gets 13 MPG so I don't know why people think I'm saving the environment by not driving a HUMMER.

5. It was over-built, comfortable,tough, and easy on the eyes. It will be missed (especially by my 16 yr old son who had fantasies about learning to drive and picking up babes in it). It was a cool vehicle.

RIP HUMMER.