View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aftermarket In-dash DVD/CD navigation recommendation

I had a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 installed and used a PAC unit to interface with the steering wheel controls. I ran it for a year or so...worked great . It'll do everything that you're looking for...

...the problem that I found with any aftermarket unit is that the opening in the dash is so damn big that most units look aftermarket. None of them actually fill up the whole space without some kinda of bezel around them. That look drives me crazy. I eventually pulled the Pioneer unit an installed a mini PC in the back of the truck with an 8" widescreen touch display in the dash and passenger sunvisor.

The 8" screen fills the entire area of the factory dash opening perfectly...you really gotta be a computer nerd to start this kinda project, though. BUT I do have HD radio, XM, Sirius, Garmin Mobile navigation software, DVD/Bluray capability, realtime traffic, Google Maps, weather, wireless Internet (for anyone with a WiFi device), text to speech email reader, forward and rear facing cameras, 500GB of storage space for movies and mp3s for those really long road trips, and a few other bells and whistles. (www.centrafuse.com)

That said...if the aftermarket look drives you nuts too, but you don't want to completely rewire your truck I still have my OEM Nav ('05 Lux) with the map DVD if you're interested...I'd just have to pop the dash open to get the GPS antenna out.