View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 01:24 AM
Hummer Professional

Scarsman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Air Intake, Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRA51
K&N and all Oiled filters let more dirt pass than OE paper filters . They will only have a litle more flow above 35000rpm's on a stock engine. If you send your oil out and have it anilised (spelling) you will se an increase in silicats with a K&N over OEM filters . Been there Done that .

I'll back you on this. I have seen a lot of bikes/quads running K&N filters, as well as trucks. Without fail in the ones used in dusty environments I always see dirt residue stuck to the intake walls post filter. If you talk to a serious performance bike/quad engine builder they will recomend against K&N type filters for dune machines, because they will let more dust through. Incidently, foam is not great in sand either, as the sand grains can migrate through the foam.

I have run both K&N and stock filters in many of my own trucks, and I am back to using stock filters due to always finding dust and dirt past the filter with the non stock filters.

If I was building a race car or a street only high performance engine, I would run a K&N, but anything going offroad I'll stick to stock type filters.
Wheels - Black bedliner on stock wheels
Gas cap lid - still chrome but will soon be black bedliner
Tail light guards - still chrome but will be black bedliner
Grill - Still chrome but will be black bedliner
Hmmmm, is there a pattern developing here?