View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Hummer Veteran

cdmintmi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie here: Question on tires & wheels

Id say all the three tires are about the same. I doubt you would see much difference in the in ride quality, off road capability, or handeling. And they will all make a little noise. The toyos might be a little more pucnture resistant being 10ply and load range E, but Im sure all three are quality tires.

Youre truck shouldnt have a problem getting up a hill. Ive driven mine north to south from Key West FL to Allentown Pennsylvania and east to west from Cape Hatteras NC to Houston Texas and I havent hit anything it couldnt handle. There was a hill I traveled frequently in the foothills of NC just at the continental divide that was pretty steep. Truckers usually went about 25 to 30 mph to get up. It was hard at first not to mash the pedal and run 5000rpm all the way but I learned pretty quick to just keep my rpms around 3500 at the most and it was plenty to get me up at around 55 mph with about double the mpg. Just remember its a I5 (with 240 horses in yours, 220 in mine) not a corvette or V8. Just take it easy and enjoy the view. Thats what the mountains are for anyway. You can go real fast on the way down if you want

The fog light idea was stolen from someone else on here fourfourto I believe is the member name. It was very quick, very simple, and looks pretty slick. Everyone thinks they are 150 dollar driving lights, I just thought it looked good with my real 520 ATP's on the brush gaurd.

Now as for the nerf bars....this had been a sticky subject around my house but I just let it go to keep the peace. Whats the saying "happy wife=happy life" Well I hate them and have wanted to rip them off since the first day I had the truck. And I shouldve done before we got married but, now its "our money" she says . They look ok but Im 6'2" and all they do is smear mud all on the back of my leg when I get in and out becuase I can step to the ground with no problem. BUT the wife uses them especially getting in. I wanted to get sliders but if I bought them they would be stepless and the wife said nope. A few "discussions" later, the nerf bars are still there. They wont protect anything, they make it look a little lower than it is, and if youre tall they just plain suck, IMO. If it were me Id take them off before she got used to having them and put them on flebay or craigslist.

Thanks for compliment on my rig post some pics of yours when you get it. Its nice to see before and after pics. There really is quite a bit you can do to these things especially if you got the dough. Not quite as much as heaps, but theres a pretty good selection for the amount of trucks actually made. I thinks hard to keep prices down though becuase the market just isnt really there to support a mass production. If I had an extra 4 or 5 grand sitting around Id like ARB front and rear bumpers, a winch, ARB lockers, Gobi stealth roof rack, and the sliders. This site has some pretty cool stuff!!!
06 H3, Boulder Grey (somtimes/mostly just mud, color of mud varies), Leveling Kit, 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's, Westin chrome nerf bar, chrome brush guard, Chrome kit, chrome roof bars, navigation, XM,
brush gaurd lights. Want: 4" or 6" lift, rock rails to replace the steps, roof rack w/lights, want a rack above the spare on rear door, custom seat covers...should be done then but I doubt it