View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do we know of anyone that had a Mash Motors conversion done?

Fortunately, the guy that did my conversion was FANTASTIC!

It took quite a bit longer than anticipated but the ONLY problem I had was a CEL because of a brake control module.

Once I replaced it, I?ve had zero problems. (I recently had an issue with fuel rail pressure but that had nothing to do with the conversion but rather, the tuner I installed. (quick fix, changed some settings in the tune)

Other than that, I?ve had ZERO problems and I assure you I paid probably 1/3 of what Mash Motors charges. (special deal for me... )

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonH2
Hello. A couple years back, I was looking for someone who knew how to fit a Duramax into an H2 and I found Mash Motors with a few Google clicks. I went to Mike Mash's shop in the spring 2011 to get my 2007 H2SUT converted. If you are like me, your H2 is your Toy and you want it working better than best. That is true when it is original and true if you get this conversion done. It can be done by many people; the trick is to lift the body off the frame then patience will get most people through it. I decided to go to Mash Motors as it seemed to be the "renown" place.

There is no question that Michael Mash knows how to work this modification. Problem is absolutely no after sale support. I live 26 hours drive to Wichita so can't easily go visit if something goes wrong. The only alternative to driving back is the phone and the email and the hope that if something was missed, Mike would foot the bill for a local mechanics to do the work.

Well, Mash Motors overlooked many things. I have an air leak into the fuel system so every now and then, the truck won't start. I must open the hood, prime it and off I go. The air conditioning system was badly installed so the AC went dead in a few weeks. I had to get it recharged and checked at a local shop. The Bully Dog computer they installed was badly programmed so the speedometer was off by 14%. There was no way to fix that but for a complete reset of the Bully Dog which needed assistance of Bully and a $250 fee to have a Bully-pro guy do it. Mike Mash did not put the agreed cluster so I have miles instead of Km. He promised to send me the metric one but he never did. I still have a DTC about air intake warmer, the exhaust vibrates against the frame, the bendix coupling to the flywheel misses from time to time... So far, after spending $39K in conversion, I am in another $1000 to fix those annoying issues.

Would I convert it again: YES! But I encourage everyone to look for a shop close to home and make sure the mechanics you select is proud of his work, communicates well is and takes responsibility. Although at first sight you will not feel that, my experience is Mike Mash is not in the "pro" category. His main business is food catering and this conversion business seems to be a side line that he focuses on when he feels like it. Still, Mash Motors is a Web based company i.e. that is how you find him. He walks around with an I-Phone thus gets emails instantly but will ignore you for weeks. You call and get the answering machine most the time. When he decides to communicate back, he sends a "call me and we'll discuss" but why doesn't he call???

If things go well, I am sure that everyone will be pleased getting the conversion at Mash Motors but if they don't like it happened for me...the frustration you'll feel having your beloved Hummer not perfect and that you've been fooled by someone who doesn't care once the money is in his pocket ruins the pleasure of having a Diesel H2. Hope this helps.