View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Hummer Expert

[__--MUD--__] is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is this unreasonable, or am I just being whiny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTLex
Lastly, my 6" fabtech install took the shop 1 day to complete from start to finish with the alignment and all. I dropped it off on monday at 9am, picked it up on Tuesday at noon. Sound like your shop is BS' on the install.

I had one of the top jeep shops thats been in a ton of mags do my 6" fabtech. They quoted me 10 days in case they had issues. Ended up being about 5 or 6 weeks. They couldn't get the output shaft out of the case. For some reason my rig didn't have a boot on the shaft. They knew a hummer machanic but he only had one night a week. Then after they finally got it out, it kept throwing seals. so they had it for another few weeks.

You never know what your getting into when you start a project like this. My ride as of today has been in the body shop for 16 months. Its a combo of me adding additional **** to the build, and my buddy being a little slow on the work thats over my technical abilities. But that comes down to cost. I'm paying pennies on the dollar to what a regular customer would be charged. If I was paying full retail price, that **** better be done in a timely manner.

One thing I've learned from this situation. Its done in alot of industries. I will never start another project unless I have an agreement as such. Agree on a price (I will cover extra unforseen parts cost, not labor), agree on a set time frame for the project to be completed. I want an absolute worst cast senario on this time frame. If you think its going to take 2 weeks, I'll give you a month. But at the end of the agreeded time frame, if the project isn't done...I'm docking $50-100/day untill its complete. You have to adjust the penalty to the size of the project...but you get the idea. This is not unreasonable. If someone isn't confident enough in their abilities to give me this, then I dont want them working on my ****.

BTW, all the fabtech steering components that come in the lift are only tierods...and those can be used on non lifted trucks. They are feeding you a line of **** on that.

I didn't catch what lift you are getting...but you need to inquire about the brake lines. W/ the 6" fabtech, no extended brake lines were included. Installers usually just disconnected the brackets and hung the lines. You stepping up to 12", you absolutly need extended lines. You will want to order Crown brake lines. http://crownperformance.com/ It is a 6 piece kit for the hummer. They dont list 12" off their site, you will have to call them. You will feel the difference eliminating the rubber lines for the braided stainless steel. Really tightenes up the brakes- lines dont balloon up like the rubber does. You also have wheel sensor wires that will need to be extended. Make sure they just dont remove the lines from the clips and just let the wires hang. That **** needs to be securely attached, even if it means someone needs to spend the 20 minutes to drill and tap some new attachment fittings on the components. Dont settle for zipties!