View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

smileynialley is on a distinguished road
Default LPG Conversion - Taken the plunge

So the awful fuel prices here in London have finally pushed me over the edge. At ?1.31 / Litre ($9.98 / Gallon) and averaging between 9 and 10MPG, it's becoming more and more difficult to drive my H2 anywhere, which is a huge shame as it's my pride and joy.
I know LPG isn't very popular over in the US but it's something that I've been considering for a few years now and yesterday I finally bit the bullet and dropped my truck off to be converted. At around 70p/Litre, it's much more wallet friendly.
Normally the conversion would be fairly cheap (cheap enough to save the cost of the conversion in under a year) but it would mean installing the new LPG tank in the trunk space, which I did not want to do.
I have chosen to have the existing fuel tank removed completely and replaced with a small 36L petrol tank (LPG vehicles need petrol to run on until the engine reaches temperature) and behind this will be a 70-80L LPG tank. This means that with both new tanks, I will not loose any space inside the truck as they only take up the same amount of space as the original fuel tank.
This method is slightly more work and therefore more expensive but is the best choice if you want to keep the truck looking as stock as possible.
I am due to get the H2 back next week so will update you all then on how it has gone.