View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 02:20 AM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What about washable air filters?

Ken,
Here is my take on it (and I know how you love hearing my take on it )

The power increase is minimal. Yeah 10 hp at best. Most intake systems that I have read about usually dont do much if anything for the H2 (some say they take away power). BUT remember this is for the H2 - other vehicles are different. So dont do it for the possible increase in hp because it isnt worth it. 300 bucks for 10 hp is kinda silly. Personally, I will be making my own intake, so really the only thing that will cost the most money will be the filter and usually those you can get from 40-100 bucks depending the make and size of the washable filter you get.

Ok, with all that being said, dont do the upgrade for the sake of the power - do it because it allows the engine to breathe better. Do it because the washable filter is usually charged with an oil and that helps keep crap out of your engine better (the stock paper type filters let in alot of junk). Do it because one OEM-type replacement filter is at leat 100 bucks and so if you think cost effectively... for the price of three filters you have better filtration and a life long filter.

Do I think it is worth it... yes. Would I pay that money? No.
(But thats also because I have been building performance cars for decades and know how to put together my own air intake for far less then 300 bucks).

Hope this helped