View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

well I'm not 100% sure what is fair on 2pc 17" wheels. I looked myself for a while on ebay and anytime they came up for sale they pushed in to the high 2K range. Some came with MTR's on them though. Realistically 2-3K for a set of these rims is probably very reasonable. The Cepaks for instance are going to run you 400-600 per wheel in either 16.5 or 17 sizes, after you factor in wheel, CTIS, Guards, etc. The big problem with the 2pc 17's is they rarely come up for sale and the bidding can be tight.

In the end I just stuck with the 16.5 2pc steel wheels. Picked up a second set with beadlocks for like $700 (5 wheels). They are cheap and there are several good 16.5 tire choices, the Dirt Grips being one, and the one I choose. I off-road a lot so the other concern was banging up the 17" 2pc had I bought those, 16.5's who cares there cheap and easily replacable. All this and I may be one of the few I actually like how the black 16.5 wheels look on my truck and think the chrome would detract. Personal issue here.

As for the opentop. Well we are getting in to the season that reminds me why the opentop is great. The newer insulated top is awesome in the winter and holds heat well, it's also fairly quiet (if that can be said of a diesel H1) for a soft top. Also, for me, it's an advantage on trails, especially the tree tight one's in the Northeast. I've gotten through obstacles while wagon owners have had to bang away to get through. Of course in fairness I've also torn the top (this is actually pretty difficult as the top is tough!) where a wagon might have a scratch of two. I never really looked at Wagon or Hard Top as the open top was the only truck I wanted. If you travel a lot with cargo a wagon with roof rack is really the way to go. Open Top storage is tight, especially if you have passengers.

Take this all for what it's worth but hope it helps. Your going to love the h1 no matter what the choice.

2003 H2

Homepage:
http://www.hummerh1.net