View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 01:21 AM

Hummoron is off the scale

From what I've read, the rangers did search, just didn't find them. I'm sure that if they did, they would have done all they could to save them. There is absolutely no indication that the rangers blew off the seach just because it was a hummer. Nor did the blow it off because they were trespassing, we only learned that until later.

If someone calls 911 while jumping from the Empire State Building, are you going to blame the rescue workers for not catching him? Your analogies about fire and scissors are as bad as mine, Marcmedic.

There were a lot of unknowns at the time about the situation. Hindsight is 2020. Why didn't Onstar make a bigger deal out of it? Why didn't they ask to be redirected to the local rescue team instead of only dealing with the 911 middleman? How many rangers were on duty and what level were they? It was a Saturday night in the middle of winter, do they do enough rescue work of this type that requires their top skilled rangers to be on staff 24x7? (and I am by no means knocking the skills of the rangers who were there)

Onstar took the call. They were the only ones who might have fully grasped the severity of the situation. They should have monitored the progress of the search directly. Maybe Onstar needs to have their own rescue people that can be put in to service at these times? They are the ones making the promise about getting rescued.