View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely no problems with the SC.

A small leak problem with one of the inner cooler hoses (located in back of the front grill) One of the house connections would not seal up correctly and would drip fluid but it was only a problem after driving hard for a while. The dealer ship fixed the problem and it has been trouble free ever since.

Love the performance. The H2 just needs a bit of help to get out of its own way some times. I am not a racer and did not install the SC for racing. I installed it or had it installed to help with daily drivability. Especially going up mountain passes the truck would constantly shift into a lower gear and then back into over drive. It was a problem just trying to maintain the legal speed limit going up the hill. After instilling the SC no problems at all. I have plenty of power to pass if needed and plenty of throttle left for whatever may come to my feeble mind.

I also had a problem with the electric fans. Here in Vegas during the summer it gets HOT. Nothing new there. But the fans would shut off or stop running which was causing an over heating issue. The problem: The dealership installed the control module for the fans next to or adjacent to the headers just below the fuse box. While they will not admit to doing anything wrong the instructions that came with the fans point to an installation point up next to the fans themselves. I believe that the control module for the fans being mounted close to a heat source was causing the module or something inside it to let loose. The dealership has replaced the module twice and still refuses to take my advice of relocating the module even after showing them the install instructions. Once the warranty is over I will re-locate the module myself. If they wish to continue to replace the thing at there cost that is up to them. The temps here in LV have lessened in the last week and I've had not trouble with the fans. It has been in the 90's. When it gets up over 100-115 they seam to have trouble. I should say that it is not the fans that have trouble but the control module staying functional. The fans do a great job of cooling when they are allowed to run. As a test I had a mechanic friend bypass the thermostat that controls the point where the fans turn on and just make it so that the fans were running when the motor was on and guess what no cooling or shutting down trouble at all. This test was done when it the ambient temps were in the suspect target range. As I said above the temps here in town are getting cooler at least this past week. They may bo back up as we are not out of summer yet.

I guess my point to all of that is if you have someone or a dealership install the fans just make sure they follow the install instructions. Also in other parts of the country where the temps do not reach 105-115 it may not be a problem at all regardless of where the controll module is located.

I was told that the electric fans were needed because the motor would be producing additional heat due to the Sc and the headers. I don't know if they just saw a gullible person coming or if it is actually true. The motor does sound quieter under acceleration without the stock fan in my opinion.

The electric fan addition allows the motor to produce around 30 extra hp. or so I'm told.

You will enjoy the Sc if you decide to go that way. Even without the elct fans. Next summer before my warranty expires I may have the dealership replace the stock fan if I am still having trouble.

As a side note I went to Moab the week after the install and ran around all day on the trails for a week with the AC running and had absolutely no troubles at all. The air temp never got above 90 while I was in Moab and that may have been the major reason for my successful trip.

Hope this helps.