View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChevyHighPerformance:
f5fstop,

I noticed that you mentioned this before about the K&N filters not filtering as well as the stock paper filter. I thought the K&N's did pretty well. The problem with the stock H3 paper filter is the pleat depth/density ratio is too high and actually reduces the active filter surface area. This is why the K&N's work better in the H3's than the C5's as far as flow/power goes.

Did you do your test on a C5? The Fram filter did as well as the K&N. An advantage of the K&N is that it is not damaged by water and helps stop water from entering the intake. Some vettes and f-bodies had low air scoops that directed water (and air) into the air box where the water dissovled/weakened the paper filter and water entered the intake and hydro-locked the engine.

You should see the air filter on the new C6 Z06. I rode in a preproduction model about 2 months ago. The new Z06 spanks the GT-40 at half the price and easily de-fangs the Viper. And, if you think new Z06 is fast wait until you see what's next..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All tests were done on C5s including one ZO6.
Also, from what I have read in Gm engineering reports, oil based filters allow more dirt (albeit small amounts) into the engine.
I agree, different design air intakes would have different results. I would love to see some actual dyno charts on the differences, and maybe I should also preface that these results were C5 related.
Filters used were stock Delco, which might be manufactured by Fram...not sure.
I work in a place that just stripped down the new ZO6, and I had a chance to drive a few quite a few months ago. For the price (which is high) it is a steal. Hate to replace those tires every six thousand miles though. They have to cost a fortune.
I would love to see what your results are with the K&N versus a good paper filter.