View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 02:57 AM

Kahloq is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kahloq:
The H1 is designed for pulling and climbing..period. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Since when? If you want something to pull with, you can get way better vehicles for substantially less money.

If you've driven a H1 or H2, you'll know that neither have outstanding performance, so it should not come as a great surprise that the H3 is no different.

Interestingly, the H3 with "only" 220hp offers an almost identical power to weight ratio as the H2.

I don't think the I-5 engine does an injustice to the Hummer name, after all, Hummers have historically been under powered.

Could the H3 have a more powerful engine, sure it could, as could the H2, but life is full of compromises. I would like to have seen the H2 offered with the 8.1 or a diesel, but I guess I'll just have to keep on wishing, as I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

The premise that the H3 is not in keeping with the Hummer name is simply false. In fact if it had a more powerful engine it would be out of keeping with the Hummer line. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok look. First thing is I have driven the Military hmmwv(humvee), the civilian H1 and the H2. I can tell you, there is no other "suv" that can pull a full size artillery piece except a hmmwv(aka H1). What I have been trying to get at is what you also stated as well.....hummers are underpowered. What many of you have overlooked is the personage of hummer from those that DON'T own a hummer. Most ppl that don't and have never drivern one don't equate compromises with the name hummer. They think Hummer is the king of everything when it comes to an SUV. This is an implied point I have been trying to make, but I guess I should have spelled it out explicity. As far as power to weight ratio, yes they are lacking compared to many other suv brands. For example, the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L hemi has 330 HP. Thats 5 more then the H2, however, the jeep vehicle is a lot less heavy. However, the public view of the hummer line is power, comfort, luxery to spare(civilain versions).
I think many of you that own hummers can't relate to that since you do own them and dont understand maybe why ppl think this. Its a lot to do with marketing BUT more so the simple fact that they are all linked back to the military(even tho the H2 has nothing to do with the military). BUT ppl equate Military with massive power(blow stuff up, the best of the best, etc mentality). It's just the way ppl think.

Since many of you have stated you think hummers are weak, you are making my case that the engines are not up to snuff of what ppl expect and that is the disappoitment! Those that havent owned a hummer before and then do the research to investigate and find that they are rather poor in performance get a little discouraged and that MAY account for the 25% drop in sales for the H2.
Once you understand the issue and my point from these perspectives, you should be able to see why I stated the engine was a disppointment for the H3. It's not for lack of MY personal experience with the hummer line, but rather the image the general public has about hummer being a power house vehicle.