View Single Post
Old 05-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W1N:
Well, if these are 36.8" tall but 13.5 on 11", on this show truck the wheels are 9" wide doesn't that make the tire much less wider the rie size is 335/55R22 if Goodyear Wrengler MT 37x12.5R18 on a 18x10 wheel doesn't rub I don't see why would these??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Some people with 37x12.50's find they do rub, some do not, less backspacing will certainly help.

Rim width effects tire profile, the lower rim widths increase the tire profile, higher rim widths decrease the tire profile. So if you increase the tire profile by using a smaller rim, than what the manufacturer measured the tire on, you will end up with a taller tire as the tire profile effectively increases. Now depending on the tire the sectional width will either stay thye same or increase slightly, due to sidewall bulge.

In any event a 13.50" wide tire with stock back spacing is likely to rub on a H2. If you decrease the backspacing you may not have rubbing on the sway bar or frame, but may now get it on the fender well.

Those tires look as they would rub, and I'd bet that they would off road. Which of course is a mute point if you just want the "look".

There really is only one way to know if a particular tire/rim combo will rub on a given H2 and that is to test fit them.

FWIW I've seen people say that their tires don't rub at all, yet there is a shiny polished area on their sway bar where they are in fact rubbing... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My next question is how much rubing is bad and how much rubing will be affecting the turning diameter and actually change your ability to handle the vehicle in sharp turns like backing in and out of the carage etc? What are the most common places of rubing and what would you consider to be ok and what nok?

And how much do you expect the width of the tire change if I go from 11" wide wheel down to 9.5" or even 9". I calculated 13.5" wide tire (on a 11" wide wheel) would come down to about 12.5"...

Thanks guys!